It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC 3.x, is it possible to export an epic and all sub-stories and associated tasks from one project to another

Ned Bader (1112) | asked Mar 12 '13, 3:40 p.m.
Hi Team,

I am hoping that you can help with questions.
I would like to export an epic and all associated sub-stories and associated tasks from a recently completed project (tracked in RTC) to a new project (also in RTC).

As such, I am first stumped by being able to created a query, which when using an epic id, return this epic and all stories (and potentially sub-stories) and associated tasks.  While there seems to be a report which can do this (referenced in https://jazz.net/forum/questions/32213/is-is-possible-to-query-all-stories-below-an-epic ), I can not seem to duplicate the concept of Relations (Parent of, Child of ...) in a query.

Can I make a query to do this?

If I can generate a .csv file, which fields will I need to persist the parent-child connections between the epics, stories, and tasks.  Will I need to import Id and Parent fields?   Is there a potential challenge of these Id's already being used in this new project.

Thank you for any guidance
- Ned

2 answers

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Mar 14 '13, 8:25 a.m.
Hi Ned

There is no way (other than using the API) to query a whole hierarchy

What we did was always to move all WI.  Create a query for all Items. Export to CSV by adding field PARENT

During the import, the parser is able to relink the objects also if the ID are not the same.

----
other way is to use Birt. Try Work_Progress in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsCentral
that give you a nice hierachy of selected parents

erwin

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Mar 14 '13, 9:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ned,

instead of using a query you can also think of using the work item templates. If its an epic with the complete structure that you want to export the template will include all the Child and grandchild records (I don't know if that stops somewhere, but i am sure for the grand children).
The template can be created in the RTC Eclipse client just by right clicking the top level epic and selecting the "Create work item template" menu item.
After the work item template is created it can be exported and imported to the new project area.
With the execution of the template the structure will be recreated.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.