It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practices around the use of Test Case Design and Manual Test Scripts

Richard Herrin (2121013) | asked Mar 06 '13, 9:36 a.m.
We have many test cases, and they have both design steps and manual scripts.  However, when a test must be updated, it imposes duplicate effort to keep both the design and the manual script in agreement.  We are considering using only design steps OR only manual scripts.  Does IBM suggest one over the other, or are we misusing these areas of RQM?

Comments
paul chu commented Mar 22 '13, 4:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am just a developer so I can't say how I use the tool is a best practices but this is my 2 cents. I use test case design when I create a new test case. It is easier to edit comparing to editing each manual script step. Once I completed the test case I generate the manual test script from the test case design. Any changes from then on is in the test script only. There should not be much changes anyway, otherwise, we would create a new test case for the new needs instead of changing existing test case.

One answer

permanent link
Tory Jaskoviak (52015) | answered Mar 25 '13, 3:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm copying Paul Chu's comment above as one answer:

I am just a developer so I can't say how I use the tool is a best practices but this is my 2 cents. I use test case design when I create a new test case. It is easier to edit comparing to editing each manual script step. Once I completed the test case I generate the manual test script from the test case design. Any changes from then on is in the test script only. There should not be much changes anyway, otherwise, we would create a new test case for the new needs instead of changing existing test case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.