It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How accurate should WMF to PNG image conversion be?

Andrew Codrington (17733135) | asked Feb 25 '13, 4:36 p.m.
Jazz 4.0.1

I 'Extracted Requirements' from a document and got some problematic image conversions.
Should I expect reasonably accurate conversions of images?

I'm hesitant to go straight to a bug report with this one, as I'm not even sure what the source application was that created the embedded image. It was most likely cut/pasted from Visio.

There are a number of images in the doc. The one I'm focused on now is a high level diagram that just has a number of boxes, lines between them, and text labels on most boxes.

The conversion removed all the text labels and moved one of the text boxes. The rest of the image is reasonably close to the original.

The warning given was "WMF/EMF/PICT/BMP image converted to PNG image". I tried starting from a ".doc" file, as well as from versions of the same file converted to ".odt" and ".docx" using LibreOffice 3.5. The resulting image looked different for each conversion, but never had the text overlays.

One answer

permanent link
Andrew Codrington (17733135) | answered Feb 25 '13, 5:28 p.m.
Okay, a little more searching through defects turned up a recently active discussion about converting documents vs my extracting requirements from documents. It's been switched to an Enhancement now (71233) as they've decided this wasn't supported in 4.0.1

I was surprised by that as I recall lots of 'Limitations' text in 3.0.1 about quality of conversions. When I didn't see any limitations listed while I was extracting I assumed it was sorted out in 4.0.1. The warning message after extraction wasn't troubling either - a PNG version of the image would be fine if it was reasonably close to the original.

Then I noticed comments in the 71233 defect/enhancement that said there were stated limitations in 4.0.1.

I went back to the GUI and there it was, a single line in the 'Extract Requirements' wizard 'Specify details' screen.

It said:

Limitations:

Nothing else. Just a lonely line. In hindsight it is incredibly suspicious, but I didn't notice it until now.

Then I moused over the Limitations label, and a big bubble of warning text jumped out. Nicely done folks. Stealth feature limitations... :-)

I hope someone can jump in and explain what is wrong with my Firefox 10 config that this text is hidden until I mouse over it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.