It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is "filed against" for?

Caroline Smith (4611923) | asked Feb 25 '13, 10:25 a.m.
converted to question Feb 25 '13, 10:56 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Can somebody explain what "filed against" is for.  I know you file against a category but I don't understand where you can navigate to all the articles filed against a certain category.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 25 '13, 10:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: This question was asked as a comment in https://jazz.net/forum/questions/103667 .   I promoted it to be its own question.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 25 '13, 11:04 a.m.
The purpose of the Filed-Against property is to help automate the assignment of a work item to the team that will handle it.   The idea is that you define a set of "categories" that are concepts that are understood by the submitter of a work item.  Then in the project area, you map each category to a team that is responsible for that category.  That team is then responsible for all work items submitted against that category.   That team is of course free to modify the value of the "filed against" property, to effectively forward that work item to a different team.

When you say "navigate to all the articles filed against a certain category", I assume by "article", you mean "work item"?   If so, you can just create a work item query, asking for all work items that have a particular category as the value of their Filed-Against property.
Caroline Smith selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 25 '13, 11:18 a.m.

As in the other post, I would suggest reading https://jazz.net/library/article/589

2 other answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 25 '13, 1:02 p.m.
think of Filed Against as a work queue by team.  you can organize the work by assigning the workitem to different teams of people..

this has NO relationship to ANY structure of the actual technical product being developed or supported with RTC.
(it 'may' but there is no guaranty)

RTC UI's both web AND Eclipse, can and WILL change this value without warning if you drag/drop or move workitems between timelines where the same teams are not in the hierarchy.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered Feb 25 '13, 11:07 a.m.
Filed against goes to a Category which in turn is associated with the Project Area or Team Area.   The easiest way to find items in a particular Category would be to create query(ies) with one of the criteria being Filed Against.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.