It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the limits of "A release is scheduled for this iteration" in V 3.01.2?

Fred Atwater (23810) | asked Jan 09 '13, 3:02 p.m.
Can someone explain what the differences are between checking and not checking the box; "A release is scheduled for this iteration"? We are using V 3.0.1.2. And the help pages have the following statement.

To enable the iteration for an iteration plan, click A release is scheduled for this iteration. Only iterations with deliverables are eligible for iteration plans.

We have an iteration with this box not checked, and we have created a plan that has the un-checked iteration as its Iteration. Additionally, we have created work items and selected them as Planned For this iteration.

Discussion in the Forum says that iteration is not "eligible" or not "enabled" for plans or work items if this box is not checked.

Since we are not restricted from associating a plan and creating work items for this iteration, what exactly are the restrictions?

2 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jan 09 '13, 11:30 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you familiar with the history of the project area and iterations? I tried to recreate your situation (though with RTC 3.0.1.4 -- I don't have a 3.0.1.2 server readily available) and it just can't be done. When you create a plan, it won't show iterations that aren't properly marked as having a release. When you edit a work item, it won't offer the non-release iterations.

HOWEVER, I took an iteration which already had items planned for it and a plan created for it and removed the release check mark from its properties. The plan didn't disappear -- it was still in the All Plans list in the web client (though not the Eclipse client) and could still be opened and the items on the plan were still there and still showed "Sprint 2" as the Planned For value. But if I changed the value to a different iteration and saved the item, I could not put it back to Sprint 2.

So can you check that the Iteration still does not have a release planned and try to create a new plan that is based on it? And create a new work item and attempt to assign it? Does that work? I'd be super surprised if it did. I think what is true here is you can't make new assignments to that iteration but if assignments were made before this property was changed, RTC can't do much but honor them until they are cleaned up.

Comments
Fred Atwater commented Jan 11 '13, 11:18 a.m.

I finally had time to run the test you suggested. The plan is still not checked for "A release is planned for this iteration." I created a new story in that plan. I then moved it from that plan to the product backlog, saved so that is shows in the product backlog, and then moved it back to the plan again. Finally, I created another story in the product backlog and moved it to the unchecked Plan. I have screen captures of all these steps. Should I open a defect item on Jazz. net?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 11 '13, 12:29 p.m.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to test that. 

Since I don't see this behavior on 3.0.1.4 (frankly, I've never seen it and I've been using RTC since 1.0, though certainly not every version in between) a defect at jazz.net won't help as it would be closed as "Fixed upstream". There's either something unusual about your project area configuration or possibly a transient defect in 3.0.1.2. If you can't upgrade and have a support contract, you can submit a PMR in hopes of getting a hotfix.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 11 '13, 12:30 p.m.

One thing that would help pinpoint this as either a transient issue in 3.0.1.2 or an issue with your configuration would be to create an out of the box Scrum project area (that you can archive as soon as you are done experimenting) and see if you can do this there. Immediately after the project area is created, just edit Sprint 1 and remove the "release is planned" flag, save, then open one of the automatically generated work items and try to plan it for Sprint 1. If you can do that, there is definitely an issue with your installation or 3.0.1.2. If you can't, then there's something interesting going on in your project area configuration.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 09 '13, 3:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Fred, if the checkbox is not checked, you can not use the iteration as planned for and thus you will never have any work items planned for the iteration. Such iterations are typically used underneath iterations that have releases scheduled and are used to control behavior.

Comments
Fred Atwater commented Jan 09 '13, 3:53 p.m.

But as I said above, we have created a plan for this unchecked iteration. And we have created work items in the plan. The plans shows progress, load, etc.

Am I missing something? You are saying I can't have work items for a plan with this iteration, and yet I do. I would attach screen shots if I could.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.