It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems with RTC 4.0.0.1 on RHEL 6.3 (64-bit)

Patrick LoPresti (8859) | asked Dec 26 '12, 7:04 p.m.
I downloaded and installed the complete 64-bit 4.0.0.1 RTC (including JVM and Eclipse) on my Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 (RHEL 6.3) system.

I encountered two issues with this perfectly vanilla install.

First, the default Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on RHEL 6.3 is version 1.7, and RTC 4.0.0.1 throws an exception on start-up (see https://jazz.net/forum/questions/95228/).  I fixed this by forcing Eclipse to use /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0/jre/bin/java as the JVM.

Second, I encountered errors any time RTC tried to render any Web page (e.g. Help -> Help Contents).  This exact issue is described by the following tech note:

Executive summary:  RTC bundles an Eclipse (3.6.x, aka. "Helios") that does not support the newer xulrunner shipped with Linux distributions for the past several years.  Older xulrunner releases, on the other hand, are not available in 64-bit form.

So, per the tech note, I added -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.UseWebKitGTK=true to my eclipse.ini file, and things mostly work...

...but only mostly. "Help -> Help Contents" now comes up fine -- so I know WebKit is working -- but many other pages fail.  For example, when I right-click on an RTC project area and select "Open", then click "Open Web Client For Project", a new tab appears and says "Loading...", but it never finishes.  In fact, this appears to happen whenever RTC tries to display any content from the RTC server.

Note: If I manually edit the URL in the WebKit widget to point to some other Web site, it comes up fine.  If I copy and paste the URL from the RTC window into a Web browser, it also comes up fine.  If I sniff the packets with Wireshark, I can see the entire page is being read from the RTC Web server.  So this appears to be some incompatibility between the HTML+Javascript generated by the RTC 4.0.0.1 server and the version of WebKit included in RHEL 6.3 (WebKitGTK+ 1.2.6).

I finally got a working configuration by installing a newer Eclipse (to get support for the current xulrunner) and then set -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla in my eclipse.ini to avoid the use of WebKit.

My question is this.  Does the RTC dev team test on this platform (RHEL 6.3 64-bit)?  Can I expect some future version of the RTC server to generate Web pages that WebKitGTK+ 1.2.6 can actually render?  Or some future version of the RTC Client to install and work out of the box?

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.