It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom workflow questions

Caroline Smith (4611923) | asked Dec 14 '12, 5:22 a.m.
Hi,

We have created a custom workflow but there are further customizations we would really like to do.  If there is any way to graphically or through modifying the process configuration source to do these it would be great somebody could let me know.

Here is what I want:

At a certain point in our custom workflow, when an item changes from development - > testing I want to change the owner to the same person every time.  Similarly when the work item moves from testing to any other state I want to owner to change to the previous person in the history.

Also in terms of notifications.  Is there any way to customize notifications based on the state in a workflow.  For example, notify the analyst when any work item is added to the queue state.  Notify QA when any work item is added to the testing state.

I am using RTC Eclipse Client V3.0.1

Thanks in advance
Caroline

Accepted answer

permanent link
Caroline Smith (4611923) | answered Jan 03 '13, 9:24 a.m.
After doing some more work on this we have decided that it is easier to not change the owner and instead I set up custom shared queries for the QA team to find all their tasks quickly.  I will still need to investigate the notifications side of things but I have a few other higher priority items on my list before I get to this.

Thanks
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 03 '13, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Caroline, it is always better - and cheaper - to use built-in features such as queries. Extending is not a simple thing to do and it needs to be kept working too.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Dec 14 '12, 6:05 a.m.
Caroline,

for your first question, I would suggest to look into https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization you can use a JavaScript based Attribute Customization, if you always have the same person. You can pass the uuid of the new owner in case the state is reached, the current ID in all other cases. This only works if the script is only triggered by the state. We are about to publish a lab in the Process Enactment Workshop about scripting soon. Not sure if we can make it this year though. Another interesting article is https://jazz.net/library/article/537/ .

For notifications, there is an IBM Team that creates and maintains custom extensions for customers for a fee that has done some work about custom notifications. Otherwise you would have to create a server side extension. You can find some information about all you need to know about that topic here.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 14 '12, 7:12 a.m.

For the JavaScript solution, you would use a script based calculated value provider.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 29 '12, 1:09 a.m.
One thing you might want to consider is to create an Approval for the tester, rather than changing the owner of the work item and then changing it back.  You'll probably want to create a custom precondition to automatically add the Approval.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 29 '12, 5:40 p.m.

If you want to modify the work item during the operational behavior, you need to use a participant and not an advisor. See http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/12/14/do-not-modify-the-triggering-element-in-an-operationadvisor/ why. The interface contract of an advisor or precondition is not suited for the item that triggers to be modified.

Independent of using an approver or changing the owner, you should look into using a follow up action or participant.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.