It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restricting User Roles based on TestCase Duplication.

anoop mc (74811195221) | asked Nov 19 '12, 7:49 a.m.
Scenario:

We have few Developers and Testers who are working in project.

There are few TestCases designed for Unit Testing, UAT and System Testing.

Unit Test is going to start in another 2 weeks time.

TestCases has been differentiated based on TC Naming convention.

Requirement:

The Team want to put a restriction on to Different roles (Developer, Tester) which should allow them only modify (use duplicate option) the test cases which is used for Unit Testing.

They should not be able to duplicate any of the testcases which are meant for UAT and System Testing.

Not Sure how this can be implemented. Any suggestions ?

2 answers

permanent link
Srikanth Bhushan (16942734) | answered Nov 20 '12, 3:29 a.m.

Hi Anoop,

I guess the "Test artifact ownership by team" feature of 4.0 might help you.

Test artifact ownership by team

Rational Quality Manager has allowed ownership of artifacts by individuals in previous version. Now Version 4 extends this concept to ownership by team area. The test script shown in Figure 2 is associated with the "JKE Testing - Money that matters" team area.

An artifact that belongs to one team area can still be accessed by all users across the project area. However, the process and permission can be overridden by the process defined at the team area level. By default, the team area process is the same as project area process

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/rational-quality-manager-4.0/index.html

permanent link
anoop mc (74811195221) | answered Nov 21 '12, 8:01 a.m.
edited Nov 21 '12, 8:03 a.m.
Hi Srikanth,

Thanks for the response but I don`t think your solution is the right one and I understand that we cannot   restrict user actions based on test case naming conventions.

Let me restate the requirement as below.

Unit testing is going to begin
Users belonging to Developer role has to create unit test cases in RQM.
They prefer to duplicate the TestCases from System TestCases.  --> Can we block this
Also they should be able to duplicate only the unit test cases created by them.

My thoughts:
Can we apply some category over to all the Unit TestCases and System TestCases. Not sure if we can restrict based on category.

If not what would be the best solution we can suggest the team.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.