It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Overdue 'Approval' request email notification for a closed work item in an archived project

Shirley Jhirad (514151) | asked Nov 14 '12, 4:54 a.m.
edited Nov 14 '12, 5:58 p.m. by David Olsen (5237)
Hi,  
Although a Work item was already set as done and the project was also Archived, a user that was assigned as  the WI Approver, continues to get email notification that th WI is waiting for his approval and is Overdue.

Any Ideas?!

Thanks,
Shirley.

5 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Nov 14 '12, 5:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is common for work items to have approvals after they have been resolved.  (The team that I work on requires that most work items be verified after they have been resolved.)  So the fact that the work item is marked as done should not stop the reminder e-mail messages.

The fact that the work item is in an archived project area is more interesting.  But it should not stop the e-mail messages.  An archived project area is simply less visible in the UI.  It is not deleted or read-only or invalidated.  The underlying runtime treats an archived project area the same as an active project area.  It is only in the UI where there is a difference.

So to fix your immediate issue, the person receiving the e-mail reminders should open up the work item and should either approve or delete the approval.  That will stop the e-mail messages.

Comments
Shirley Jhirad commented Nov 15 '12, 2:35 a.m.

OK, is there any way i can manage this specific notification?

Because for the regular User he might not want to go through this as the WI is nor relevant to him.. 

David Olsen commented Nov 15 '12, 12:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It should be really easy for the regular user, the one whose approval was originally requested, to take care of this.  The reminder e-mail message should contain a link to the work item.  Just click on the link, click on the Approvals tab, change the requested approval from Pending to Approved, and click save.  Five clicks (plus possibly logging in).  Easier than communicating the problem to someone else to have them fix it.

If someone other than the person whose approval was originally requested needs to fix this, then open the work item and delete the approval request entirely.

permanent link
Vivek Iyer (15212527) | answered Mar 07 '13, 6:18 p.m.
I encountered the same issue at work. As admin, I went in and deleted the approval a week ago and the user is still getting email reminders even though the approval has been deleted. The work item has also been closed.

Is this a bug? If yes, has this been reported? If not, please let me know and I will report it.

Thanks,

Vivek

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Mar 06 '14, 9:56 a.m.
Hi all, same thing here!
I keep getting an email asking me to deal with an in-existing approval request.
That Work Item is set to Verified and not approvals are set.
I still get the email once per day reminding me to approve it.
Is this a known issue? We're running RTC 4.0.3.
Thanks!

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Mar 06 '14, 3:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I found a defect that says this issue was fixed in 4.0.  You may want to comment in the work item with details.

https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=203580

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Mar 06 '14, 4:24 p.m.

Thank you Lauren for your answer.

Unfortunately the url you have provided to me is an IBM internal one and I cannot comment to that "internal" Work Item.

the description I have provided in my previous post summarizes the problem as it happens: I keep receiving daily an email for a ghost approval request.

I cannot delete that WI unfortunately.

Thanks!

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Mar 07 '14, 7:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.