It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export Project Area from Server Linux RTC v.1 to Server AIX RTC v.4

Adriano Fanelli (2322929) | asked Nov 12 '12, 9:39 a.m.
Hello Folks,
                  I need to Export Project Area from Server Linux RTC v.1 and Import into Server AIX RTC v.4 without
loosing the associated Work Items, History Files and Change Sets.
Thanks in advance, Adriano

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 12 '12, 10:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 12 '12, 11:02 a.m.
Hi Adriano.

You can't export only one project area.

What you can do and I assume you want to do is to move the application server to an AIX machine. Dependent on where you have the database server, there are different considerations.. Can you describe your plans with the databases? Which Vendor?

Here the general outline.

1. You install the product files on the new server.
  2. You need to do a offline backup of everything on the old server. See https://jazz.net/library/article/795.
  3. You do a repotools export of the databases (if you want to move the a new DB server, change the vendor or the vendor does not support switching the OS with a backup/restore between the platforms).
  4. You make sure the new server is reachable using the public URI you have chosen for your Application(s).
  5. You restore the teamserver.properties and all other supporting configuration files of all applications that move on the new machine.
  6. You restore all index files etc. on the new machine.
  7. You deploy custom extensions on the new machine.
  8. You check all the teamserver.properties files for the index locations etc. and make sure all the values are valid for the new deployment.
  9. If you can still use the old DB or backup restore to another server, do that and make sure the connection information in the properties is valid for the DB server.
  10. If you have new databases on a new server and no backup/restore on that server, you create the databases. And then you run repotools-import for all databases.
  11. Deploy the applications on the new server if you use WAS.
  12. You can bring up the new machine.

No guarantees, I would suggest to try this in a isolated environment.

permanent link
Adriano Fanelli (2322929) | answered Nov 12 '12, 10:56 a.m.
Hello Ralph,
                  thanks for replay. What I need is only to move the single Project Area from a RTC v.1 server
into an existing (production server) one.
I can only EXPORT/IMPORT the source code but what  I need is a way to have available the
Work Items, History Logs and Change Sets exported into a Sheet Excel or something similar since the Work Items, History Logs and Change Sets are the Apars of the product that is in maintenance.
I want to close the server and move only the last Project Area into the Production server,
not need to export/import the repository as I made when I updated the RTC v.2 into v.3.
Thanks, Adriano    

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 12 '12, 11:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Adriano,

there is currently no Project Move capability in RTC that allows to move a project from one server to another. This is high on the list of several users.

A valid model is to archive all other projects and follow my initial answer to migrate to the new server - keeping the Public URI. You have to shut sown the old server. If you are on 4.x and need/want to do a server rename during the process you should get in contact with support.

If the databases are available using the old connection string, or if you can use backup and restore to move to a new DB server, you don't need to do a repotools export/import.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.