It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use the custom attribute type "tag"

Morten Madsen (3053150) | asked Nov 05 '12, 3:09 a.m.
Hi all,

we're trying to create an attribute witht the type "tag" to use it for categorizing work items in a business specific context. The built-in field "tags" is a "free to use" field and is used for both personal and project specific purposes.

I have some problems / questions about this "tag" type:

1. When you create a field with the type "tag", it will get underlined in the work item editor. When you click the link, it will then do a search of all similar tagged work items. But it will search in the "Tags" field, and not my "Business Tags" field. I consider this a defect. Agree?

2. You cannot group by this new field in the plan. I've tried to man-handle RTC a little bit, but I can see that the "TagGroupProvider" which provides the "group by tag" function in plans, does not take any XML parameters (like  the Enumerator provider) and therefore is hard-coded to only look in the "Tags" field.

Any comments?

Cheers
/M.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Nov 05 '12, 7:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Morten,

1.  I tested this out, and I agree that you have found a defect.  I added tags to my built-in tags field and my business tags field.  The only field that was searched was the built-in tags field even when I searched in the business tags field.  You can submit a bug against RTC in the My Stuff section.

2.  I don't know enough about the plans to give you any suggestions here.  Perhaps someone else will be able to.
Morten Madsen selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.