It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to handle eclipse linked resources that change together with the main code.

jan baeyens (6134) | asked Oct 12 '12, 5:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
I'm developing Arduino code with a the "arduino eclipse plugin" using RTC as version control.
Arduino use libraries but these libraries can not be delivered as compiled assets because they heavily rely on the C/C++ #define functionality which is interpreted at compile time.
Therefore the "Arduino eclipse plugin" uses the eclipse linked resource to work around this.
These libraries can be delivered by third parties in which case they are unlikely to change but I also have a lot of in-house libraries that I maintain together with my projects.
I noticed that RTC does not make change sets for the changes done in the linked resources. I looked for a way to have RTC monitor those files as if they are local files but I did not find a way to do so.
The question I have now is :"What is the best way to handle this situation."
I have been thinking about possible scenarios but I can't find any that would be workable. The closest I get is to have 2 work spaces. I containing the library folders and 1 to contain the Arduino projects with links to the libraries. Then I would have to work on the same work item in the 2 work spaces and not forget to deliver the change sets in both work spaces. This seems quite a brden and overhead to me.
Any ideas are welcomed.
Best regards
Jantje

One answer

permanent link
jan baeyens (6134) | answered Nov 08 '12, 8:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I solved this problem as follows
I created a new project and added all the libraries to this project makin the libraries internal to the workspace.
Then I changed the links to the external libraries to the internal ones.
I checked/delivered the new project with the libraries in a new component so I can use them in my other projects.

Best regards
Jan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.