It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you optimize Rhapsody client performance with DM 4.0?

Mike Ballard (681610) | asked Oct 12 '12, 10:56 a.m.
We have Rhapsody v8.0 installed and are connected to an actively managed Design Manager (DM) 4.0 project.  The performance of the JTS/CLM/DM servers is acceptable when accessed over a browser.  However, when we are editing the Rhapsody model actively managed in the DM server, the client performance is terrible (~10 seconds to bring up the right-click menu, 60+ seconds (seen over 300 seconds, not to mention flat time-outs) to save).

I found an article (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/25-server-client-tips/index.html) showing how to optimize client performance for RSA & DM 4.0 (step 18), but I cannot find anything on how to optimize the performance of the Rhapsody client.

Is there any way to optimize the Rhapsody client performance with DM 4.0?

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Leroux (2254) | answered Oct 24 '12, 3:23 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 25 '12, 2:19 p.m.
 Mike, 

The article you are referring to is for DM 3.0.   A new performance article for DM 4.0 is about to be published any day now.   I do not think it includes any specific optimizations for the clients though.

I would recommend creating workitems (defects) for the operations where you are seeing that are unacceptably slow.   If we can get the details of the configuration, size of model (even example if you have them) then we will take a look at it asap.

Rhapsody client side caching might be a new feature request.

Dan

Comments
Jin Zhou commented Apr 01 '13, 6:59 a.m.

Hi, Daniel

Can I ask whether the new performance article for DM 4.x has been published already. Can I have the link if yes.

Thank You 

Daniel Leroux commented Apr 02 '13, 10:06 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jin,

Here's a link to the RSA flavor.  https://jazz.net/library/article/1214.

Dan

permanent link
David Hirsch (1162) | answered Oct 14 '12, 12:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 14 '12, 12:41 p.m.
Rhapsody loads the Model on Demand, meaning only when accessing a model element, this element will be loaded.
When opening the context menu for the first time, Rhapsody will load the model element. For a Class it will load the Class and all it's descendants, might this explain the 10 seconds? Did you open the context menu of a large class for the first time?
The performance of saving depends on the amount of changes done in this transaction. How many model elements did you modify. In general saving is one the heaviest transactions, and therefore might take some time to execute.

Regarding caching the model elements locally, Rhapsody doesn't support this option.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.