It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC / zOS / Jazz: problem loading files to zOS, connection time-out, losing connections

Otavio Areias (1323) | asked Oct 11 '12, 1:12 p.m.

Hi guys,

I've been facing some problems with RTC when trying to load files to z/OS, besides that, when working in the z/OS perspective / zOZ sub-project is often to lose the connection to the z/OS. Is it common?

I'm trying a configuration increasing the interval for connections time out, but i don't think it is the right solution.

The components and PDS are just keeping some couples of files.

TIA

Accepted answer

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Oct 12 '12, 11:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Otavio,

I'm assuming you're using RDz and its RTC integration feature?  What version of RTC are you using?  If it's v3.x, you might be hitting an issue where the code that is loading files onto z/OS is also writing some diagnostic output to STDOUT and STDERR.  After a while, those streams get full and further attempts to write there just block -- sometimes this can result in a disconnection from the z/OS system.  This problem is tracked in defect 236028.

If this is the issue you're hitting, you can disable the problematic write to STDOUT by creating a file named log4j.properties in your RSE configuration directory on z/OS (where rsed.envvars is)giving it the following contents, and restarting the RSE server:
log4j.rootLogger=OFF

Hope this helps!

- John
Otavio Areias selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Otavio Areias commented Oct 25 '12, 12:05 p.m.

Hi John!

I  think your solution has solved the time-out issue! Thanks a bunch!

However, I still have problems when my developers are changing the files using the z/OS Perspective (direct in the PDS). I don't know why but:

Suddenly files lose the link to the Jazz (turn the green/yellow icon to the blue one)
Sometimes returns a problems saving the file in the PDS.
Sometimes returns that can't load the files to the PDS. (Erro Log: Problems when downloading the files) - (May it be a lock issue?).

Our cenary:

Every developer loads the files to his own private area (PDS), makes the changes and save in times in times to the PDS.
When finished all changes, a delivery action is performed.
I have 10 developers sharing a same project.

TIA

John Riendeau commented Oct 25 '12, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Otavio,

I'm glad to hear that you're getting past the timeout errors.  Unfortunately, I don't have any similarly quick-and-easy remedies for the other problems you describe.  I think a lot more information would be required to diagnose what might be going on there.  I would recommend raising these problems with RDz support -- they should be able to help in getting them tracked down.

I will say that problems loading files to a PDS are typically caused by locking issues.  There may be a more complete stacktrace in the Eclipse client log that contains additional information that would be useful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.