It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work items linked to multiple projects

Terry Krause (101138) | asked Oct 03 '08, 11:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have encountered this scenario from one of the teams I'm working with and wonder if anyone has a suggestion to address this issue.

Eventually we will have at least 3 things:
Project A
Project B
Project C
These are separate "products" under development. And are expected to have different release dates and at one time had different iteration schedules. Right now we have everything under one project called All Projects. Which means all user stories cover projects A, B and C. We thought it would be better to have separate projects with their own Product Backlogs which could then be assigned to their respective Releases and Iterations. However, since project A and B do have some development dependencies on each other, we want to make sure that a task created under project A could create a link or dependency on a task in project B. Furthermore, since we have data loaded for both right now under one project, if we created another project, we wanted to know if we could easily migrate current data under the new project or if it would all have to be recreated or just transition with a new iteration.

I guess the other question would be if it would make more sense to view things this way... in heirarchy

Top Level Project = All Projects (Overall Product Backlog)
3 Sub Level Projects = Project A, Project B, Project C
Release Levels under each Sub project (Project A #1, Project A #2, Project B #1, #2, etc)
Under each Release are Iterations.

Thanks,
Terry

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.