It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to automate BIRT report generation

Tojan John (1172476) | asked Apr 01 '15, 7:30 a.m.
 I am using BIRT 2.6.2 version in RTC 4.0.4 for report generation. Now I am looking for option to schedule the report generation.  I tried using BIRT runtime genReport option. I am able to run sample report, but if I run real report which needs to be connected to Oracle database is throwing error.

Apr 01, 2015 4:55:28 PM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner execute
SEVERE: exception in parsing the paramters
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner.execute(ReportRunner.
java:145)
        at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.ReportRunner.main(ReportRunner.jav
a:122)

Need guidance to resolve the issue.

Also, tried running report on tomcat server, that too failed.

Appreciate help on running BIRT outside RTC environment.

One answer

permanent link
Mathieu Defianas (15942838) | answered Apr 01 '15, 8:47 a.m.
Hello,
I have encountered the same problem and finally, I have used a java program which calls report url with REST API.
Then you execute this java program with a script in a scheduler (crontab or windows tasks).
Regards
Mathieu

Comments
Tojan John commented Apr 01 '15, 9:00 a.m.

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the input. I am not good in Java, can you provide more details on this or shall the Java program?

Regards,
Tojan.

Mathieu Defianas commented Apr 01 '15, 4:05 p.m.

Tojan,
You must use for example the library "httpclient" from apache to send data to RTC with some urls.
Then, read this article (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/rational-team-concert-oslc/ ) to construct your java program.
Last step, you must retrieve the report url with a right click in the web site
Regards,
Mathieu

Monali Jambhulkar commented Aug 11 '16, 6:14 a.m.

Hi Mathieu,

Could you please help to understand how to use REST API to call report url.

If you have any sample code/application then can you please share with me.

I am new for REST API.

Thanks
Monali

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.