It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

does workitem id increment irrespective of project area?

Suresh Raman (9152332) | asked Sep 19 '12, 9:54 a.m.
I just noticed, when defects are created in a new project area, the numbering increments based on the last defect created in any of the other project areas. Is it how it is supposed to work? Or is there a setting that I am missing which resets the numbering to start from 1 for new project areas?
Thanks for your help.
Thanks,
Suresh

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 19 '12, 10:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Suresh,

as far as I can tell the work item ID is used as search key and is unique across a repository. I m not aware of any way to change this.

I have played with assigning an ID using the API and that works as long as there is no other work item using that ID.Otherwise you get an error saying the number is in use.

Comments
Suresh Raman commented Sep 19 '12, 10:41 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. For users of the new project, when they create their first defect, the expectation is it starts from 1. I will have to explain to them that it is not the way the repository handles this.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 19 '12, 11:03 a.m.

Hi Suresh on the other hand you could allow an exec to create the very first work item if you tune the templates 8-).

Suresh Raman commented Sep 19 '12, 11:36 a.m.

tune the template? Could you please tell me what to do in the template. I am using the formal one. Thanks for your help and service to the Jazz community.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 19 '12, 11:44 a.m. | edited Sep 19 '12, 11:45 a.m.

Some defaut templates create work items in the project initialization phase (and if a user joins the project?). You need to remove that. You can do that on a test server and then export it and imort it on the new production server. Note, this is only if you set up a brand new server. Once workitem number one is created, there is no way back that I know of, except maybe delete all work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.