It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0 / QC11 Integration - End user documentation

Michael O'Keeffe (1133) | asked Sep 11 '12, 7:08 a.m.
Hi,

I am evaluating the HP11/RTC4.0 intgration of defects. I have followed the download and installation instructions and I think I have everything set up correctly. The project in RTC4.0 is associated with the project in QC11 as described in https://jazz.net/library/article/855.

I want to link a bug in QC11 with a workitem in RTC4. Is there end user documentation that describes how to do this or documentation on how to create other types of linking (test cases etc)  between QC11 and RCT4.0

Thanks

4 answers

permanent link
William Jones (211) | answered Sep 11 '12, 10:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michael,

The jazz.net article discusses creating the Provides Defects relationship between your RTC project area and the HPQC project.  Once you have done this, you can create the link either when viewing the links tab of the RTC work item you want to link to, or by viewing the defect in the HP adapter. 

When creating a link from RTC, the process is the same as creating links to any other work item, RRC or RQM resource.   Just add a Provides Defects relationship to the work item.

If you would like to create the link using the HP adapter's web UI, you'll need to find the HP defect.   An easy way to do that is to use the search function in the adapter,  using the defect id.   Once you have the defect open there is  a link for  selecting a related change request.

I've sent your post to the doc team to make sure we have this covered in our upcoming release.

permanent link
Samuel Padgett (2172) | answered Sep 12 '12, 9:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
To add to Bill's answer, here is a summary of the project associations:

- Provides Defects allows you to link HP ALM test resources to RTC work items. ("This test run failed because of this RTC defect.")

- Provides Related Change Requests allows you to link HP ALM defects to RTC work items. ("This defect in HP ALM is related to this work item in RTC.")

- Uses Change Sets allows you to link RTC change sets to HP ALM defects in the RTC eclipse client. ("This change set fixes this HP ALM defects.")

So in addition to the Provides Defects project association that Bill mentions above, I would also set up Provides Related Change Requests. Then you should be able to select 'Related Change Request' as a link type from the RTC work item links tab and pick an HP ALM defect.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
Sam

permanent link
Michael O'Keeffe (1133) | answered Sep 12 '12, 12:07 p.m.
 Hi,

Thanks for the quick answers; the addition of the 'Provides Related Change Request' has got me further. I was not getting access to link to QC11 entities before.

However, when I attempt to associate a Defect in QC11 with a story in RTC I get an error. I select the links tab in RTC, and select 'Affected by Defect'. I am offered the choice of selecting the RTC project or the QC11 ALM service (I called it RationalGearbox when setting it up). When I select RationalGearbox it gives me an error at the top of the box which reads:

This service does not provide any pickers.

I am using the RTC webclient. Do you know what could be the source of this problem?

Thanks

permanent link
Samuel Padgett (2172) | answered Sep 19 '12, 9:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Michael, I apologize for not getting back sooner. I wanted to try this before I answered.

I've verified that this link type doesn't work for our tech preview. You should be able to create 'Related Change Request' links to HP ALM defects, however, which should give you a flavor for how things work.

I've also confirmed that the problem has been fixed since our tech preview, and we plan to support 'Affected by Defect' links to HP ALM defects at general availability.

Let me know if you have further questions or any feedback on the preview. Thanks!

Sam

Comments
Michael O'Keeffe commented Sep 28 '12, 7:38 a.m.

Hi,

Thank you for the reponse. Can you let me know when this feature will be available for evaluation?

What are the planned dates for this going GA?

Thanks,

Samuel Padgett commented Oct 09 '12, 9:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Michael,

We just announced the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters, including the HP ALM adapter. General availability is October 12.

Thanks,
Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.