It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC dashboard widget

Andrew Ruddick (111) | asked Aug 28 '12, 11:51 a.m.
Hi,

Can anyone offer advice on how it may be possible to extend RTC so I have a custom dashboard widget that will allow caching of files?

Basically I want to call out to a webservice based on user form input and save a returned image file in RTC for the purposes of displaying custom data?

Thanks,
Andy

One answer

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered Aug 28 '12, 1:54 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are a couple options here, depending on how customizable you want it:

1) Use the External Content viewlet, which is essentially a managed iframe. With this approach, you craft a separate page on a server that does exactly what you want. The page should work by opening it directly in a browser. Then, you just embed that page in your dashboard using the viewlet, by entering the URL in the preferences and setting a size. This has the advantage of being very simple, but you can't have preferences or save any data in the dashboard resource. You can see an example here, where I embedded a google calendar in my dashboard, and made the External Content viewlet trimless via the menu > Appearance settings, so you don't see a border.

2) Write an OpenSocial Gadget and add it to the dashboard. So you deploy the gadget to one of your servers, then add it to the dashboard via the widget catalog (click Add Widget in the dashboard), then use the "Add OpenSocial Gadget" link in the catalog. With this approach, you can have better integration with the dashboard with things like preferences that will be remembered, dynamic sizing of content, etc.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.