It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Plugin works on Tomcat/Windows but fails on Websphere/Linux

Anita Jey (1611315) | asked Aug 24 '12, 12:09 p.m.
I have two plugins that work perfectly on my local box (Windows/Tomcat server/Java 6/RTC v4 fresh install), but when I deploy on a test machine (Linux/Websphere/Java 5/RTC v4 upgrade from v2), it runs into problems. One plugin does not even get recognized, and the other gets recognized, but does not do what it is supposed to do.

I would have thought that the OS and web server would have little bearing on the plugins, but obviously I am missing something... Are there any gotchas I should be aware of in this scenario? 

Also, how do I find out if my plugins got provisioned alright on Websphere? On Tomcat, I use the OSGi console. The logs do not get created either - so I am kinda stumped right now! :(

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Comments
Anita Jey commented Aug 24 '12, 2:08 p.m.

Just wanted to clarify what I mean by "recognized" - The plugin was listed and available for me to use in the operation behavior tab.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 28 '12, 3:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anita,

I have seen a post around issues with the zip when using an update site generated on Windows on a Unix system I am not sure why that should be an issue, but you could:

- Try to unzip the jar file: jar –xvf myjar.jar
- Try to install RTC on Linux/Unix, check the access permissions and package the files again there.
Anita Jey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Anita Jey commented Aug 30 '12, 10:26 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for this suggestion. There was something about the way Windows generates the update site that was the problem. I created the plugin code and ini files on the Linux machine, and it worked and I am finally able to move on!

6 other answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 24 '12, 4:15 p.m.
make sure you reset the server as I posted in another topic..

all my plugins, developed on Tomcat work unchanged on websphere..

If u have access to the server, you can look at the server log to see if there is a loading failure..

there is no debugging info outside the server that is useful.

permanent link
David Chadwick (1511) | answered Aug 27 '12, 10:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Your test environment states that you are running Java 5.  RTC 4.0 only supports the following Java runtime environments.  If you move to Java 6 then your plugins may in fact work.

Supported Java environments:
  • IBM Java SDK 7.0 SR1 New for CLM 2012
  • IBM Java SDK 6.0 SR10 FP1 [Bundled]
  • IBM Java SDK 6.0.1.1 (J9 2.6) specifically for System z
  • Oracle Java SDK/JRE/JDK 7.0 New for CLM 2012
  • Sun Java SDK/JRE/JDK 6.0 Update 23

Comments
Anita Jey commented Aug 27 '12, 11:05 a.m.

Hi David... I am not a regular Websphere user, and so I did not know that, apparently, RTC runs on Websphere' own installed version of Java, which is already Java 6 on the Test machine!! so unfortunately, it did not lead anywhere, but thanks for your help, I will keep it in mind for future problems.

permanent link
Robin Bobbitt (59679) | answered Aug 27 '12, 10:52 a.m.
Check out this post with what looks like directions on how to access the OSGi console: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/67113/help-operation-advisor-plugin-not-found-on-prod-sys/67117

Comments
Anita Jey commented Aug 27 '12, 11:05 a.m.

Thanks for the link Robin. I will try it out and see what I find!

permanent link
Anita Jey (1611315) | answered Aug 28 '12, 1:56 a.m.
Robin, I read through the links, and I find that when I invoke the provisionStatus call on the server, it appears like the plugins got installed cleanly:
<snip>
CRJAZ0303I The profile install from "file:jazz/sites/copybook-site" was started at "Tue Aug 28 01:35:58 EDT 2012".
CRJAZ0300I Installing the feature "com.test.copybook.feature_1.0.0.201208231230".
CRJAZ0299I Installing bundle from the URL "file:/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jazz/sites/copybook-site/plugins/com.test.copybook.common_1.0.0.201208231230.jar".
CRJAZ0299I Installing bundle from the URL "file:/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jazz/sites/copybook-site/plugins/com.test.copybook.service_1.0.0.201208231230.jar".
</snip>

But when I use the OSGi console, I see errors related to my plugin:

Provisioning using "/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jazz/provision_profiles".
CRJAZ0285I Failed to connect to "file:jazz/sites/copybook-site".
CRJAZ0285I Failed to connect to "file:jazz/sites/workitem-site".
CRJAZ0288I Failed to install the profile feature "com.test.copybook.feature" from the update site "file:jazz/sites/copybook-site" referenced in the profile file "/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jazz/provision_profiles/copybook-site.ini".
CRJAZ0288I Failed to install the profile feature "com.test.workitem.feature" from the update site "file:jazz/sites/workitem-site" referenced in the profile file "/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jazz/provision_profiles/workitem-site.ini".
CRJAZ1834E Error provisioning the server.

It is kinda weird that these two don't match up. 

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Oct 16 '14, 12:34 p.m.
edited Oct 16 '14, 12:40 p.m.

Let me reopen the question, as I have the very same problem.

My plugin is working beautifully in Tomcat/Windows but we cannot get it working on WAS/Unix. We don't get any errors. It is simply not being loaded.

What we have done:

- Created the .ini file under conf/ccm/provision_profiles and copied the correspondent folder with the content of the built Update Site into conf/ccm/sites. This folder contains the file site.xml and the folders plugins and features with both jar files. To be sure the jar files are ok, we have unzipped and zipped them again using the Unix zip command.

url=file:ccm/sites/mysite

featureid=myfeature

- Run CRJAZ0303I The profile install from "file:ccm/sites/rtc-commons-update-site" was started at "Wed Oct 15 16:28:07 BST 2014".

We can also see in that page other legacy plugins are successfully loaded.

The WAS log files do not say anything (or I haven't been able to find it).

Any idea what can we try to identify the issue? Any help will be appreciated.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Oct 16 '14, 12:38 p.m.

make sure that your plugin does not have any runtime version dependencies.

sometimes those will not match the server (usually using a new toolkit and trying to install on an older server)

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 17 '14, 4:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would suggest to create a new question, as the other one is already closed. You don't gain anything on reposting here. You can create a new question and then reference the closed one if you like.

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Oct 17 '14, 6:35 a.m.
Thank you for the responses.
We got it working now.
This one of these stupid things that can get you busy for days, and the solution was absolutely trivial.
We were copying the files to an incorrect directory in the server. We were working in JazzTeamServer, while the actual server is located under JazzTeamServer_4.0.3. This is probably due to a version upgrade I wasn't aware of.
Just installed the files in the proper directories and everything is working now.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.