It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to provide default Work Item Templates?

Scott Crouch (48532426) | asked Aug 21 '12, 9:24 p.m.
I'm looking for a way to provide a set of work item templates by default for new projects. I'd be ok with either having the WI templates created automatically on Project Area creation through the process template or by having them shared down through a master shared project area. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this?

I did find this WI on the topic but it doesn't seem to have any ideas...

I'd also be willing to even do something crazy like hooking into a Project Area created event and invoking the WI template import, although this would not be preferred. If this is the route to take does anybody have any hints on APIs available to invoke the WI template import?

2 answers

permanent link
Takehiko Amano (1.3k3741) | answered Aug 21 '12, 10:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If Rational Team Concert's WI templates feature (A feature available in WI query view, right mouse click to open "Create Work Item Template..." menu), I think the followings are options you can take:

1. Import Work Item from .csv ("File" -> "Import..." -> "Team" menu).
  2. Use bulk creation of workitems using support provided way (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreasInRTC3)
  3. Use programmatic work item creation via API (or OSLC) https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticWorkItemCreation
  4. Use "Rational Method Composer V7.5.2" to define WBS template of project and export into Rational Team Concert.

Personally, #4 option is suitable for more process oriented software development projects because it allows to view how to work on task by viewing the process (step by step instruction how to do it).

Still original RTC WI template features are good enough for most of the projects.

Comments
Scott Crouch commented Aug 21 '12, 10:43 p.m.

Thanks for the ideas. The built in RTC WI Template feature is what we're looking for and meets our needs, the problem is we'd like to be able to define WI templates by default in new Project Areas that are created.

Takehiko Amano commented Aug 22 '12, 12:52 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '12, 12:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Use "Extract Process Template.." (available in upper left corner of process area customization view) menu will create new process template with WI templates attached to it.

For existing process templates, I have not verified by myself, it might be possible to attach WI templates by uploading WI template file (.xml) to process attachments (link tab), and modify process configuration source. E.g.

<configuration-data id="com.ibm.team.workitem.configuration.templates" xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.workitem/templates">
 <template content="processattachment:/workitemtemplates/com.ibm.team.workitem.template1.xml" identifier="com.ibm.team.workitem.template1" name="TEST"/>
 </configuration-data>

Note this way might not be supported way.

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Aug 22 '12, 2:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 22 '12, 3:03 a.m.
As you already mentioned, the work item template is the way to go. Just this additions:

1. If you have existing project areas that should make use of a work item template of another project area, than you have to export the work item template from RTC client and import it into the other project area. Choose File->Export->Team->work item template to export the desired template to an XML-File.
So you do not have to change the process configuration source for that.

2. If you want to add work item templates to a process template, than you can add it in the configuration data->work items->Templates section of the process configuration.  In the end if you are satisfied with the selection of work item templates in your project area you can extract a new process template from that (as alreday mentioned above) and use that to establish project areas.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.