It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

OSLC based connectivty to GIT

Rahul Chandrashekar (11125) | asked Aug 08 '12, 12:13 a.m.
Hi,

I am interested to know if there is any possibility / java API to communicate to GIT using OSLC.

I am more interested in any libraries / jar files using which i can achieve the same.

Regds
Rahul.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 12 '12, 6:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The short answer is "no".
Since GIT is an SCM system, one would need a GIT implementation of the OSLC SCM Specification ( http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ScmHome ), and there isn't one.
In addition, the OSLC SCM Specification has been deprecated in favor of the OSLC Configuration Management Specification ( http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ConfigurationManagementHome ), but that specification hasn't  been defined yet.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 12 '12, 3:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is not a GIT implementation of OSLC but if you look at this  Blog:

https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2012/06/14/announcing-tech-previews-for-hp-alm-git-and-jira-integration-adapters/

There is this technical preview

IBM Rational OSLC Adapter for Git

The IBM Rational OSLC Adapter for Git integrates Git with RTC work items. Git developers can continue working as usual but will now be able to annotate their commit messages with “bug 1234″ or “bug: 1234″. Then, when they push to a configured shared repository, a link between the commit and the work item is created. A commit can reference more than one work item, and the same work item can be referenced in multiple commits. The links are visible in RTC and in Gitweb. Links can be followed in either direction and deleted from the RTC work item. In addition, links can be added between commits to new or existing work items from Gitweb. For more details, please read Using the Rational Solution for CLM for Git®.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 12 '12, 6:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that when talking about OSLC implementations, it is important to distinguish between an "OSLC Provider" and an "OSLC Consumer", and then to identify which OSLC API specifications are being provided and which OSLC API specifications are being consumed. For the first version of the OSLC Adapter for git, what is being done is to implement a git consumer of the OSLC CM API. So this means that with this Adapter, git will be able to communicate (in a specific way) with an arbitrary OSLC Provider of the OSLC CM API (such as RTC, or ClearQuest). But note that this will not let a client do what this question was asking about (i.e. "communicate to GIT using OSLC" ), because this adapter will not be providing any OSLC APIs, just consuming them.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.