It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Difference between planned work at RTC progress bar and Burndown Graph

Anderson Oliveira Pinto (1701817) | asked Aug 07 '12, 4:17 p.m.
I noticed that the progress bar shows more "planned work" hours than burndown graph.

For example: I have 3.720,75 h for a iteration in the progress bar but if I look the same iteration at burndown graph I have ~2.800 h.

Sometimes the burndown graph shows negative results at line "Remaining work".

I know that progress bar is fixed automatically when you have more time spent  than estimated but in burdown I believe this isn't happening.

Can someone say me if it's normal behavior or an issue?

Comments
Marco Chouinard commented May 28 '14, 7:42 a.m. | edited Jul 14 '14, 5:16 a.m.

Hi Anderson,
I have the same problem.
In the progress bar of my sprint, I have 270h and in my burndown sprint, I have 240h of planned work.
Did you find a solution ?

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Jul 14 '14, 5:16 a.m.
We had also the customer having the same issue. The root cause was that there were two iterations with the same IDs but different names.

You must be consistent in assigning iteration IDs.
If two iterations in the same project area have the same ID, the names must also be equal and vice versa.

There is also enhancement 324174 created to validate such inconsistency when creating new iteration.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 14 '14, 5:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also, make sure your iterations in timelines don't overlap.

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Mar 23 '15, 4:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Plan Progress calculation is different from the calculation for progress in Burndown, so a difference may be seen.

In short, while Time Spent is used for the Plan Progress, it is NOT considered for Burndown Progress. 

Burndown mainly uses the corrected estimate when present, else the estimate.  Time spent which may be less or greater than the estimates, affects the plan progress but not the burndown progress.

hope this helps

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.