It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1.2 and RTC 4.0 - Is their a sizing guide for use of temporary space - zOS

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Jul 25 '12, 5:55 a.m.
edited Jul 25 '12, 12:22 p.m.
While running zimports and builds customers have been seeing some "non specifc" error messages where the root cause was determined to be out of temporary space under OMVS. Is there any documentation that "speaks" to estimating how much temporary space is needed?

Comments
Seth Packham commented Jul 25 '12, 9:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

We recommendt that all postings have a clear, specific QUESTION in the title field. Please edit this right away to rephrase the title as a proper question.

One answer

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jul 25 '12, 2:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Temporary space is used as a work area. There is no current documentation that recommends what the temp working space ought to be and I think it would be very difficult to give any size estimation given that there are many many variables involved when trying to calculate what the space requirements are.... for example
 - Is the server installed? Which applications?
 - Which toolkit functions are being used? Build? Packaging/Deployment? ISPF client?
 - How large are the projects? DO they include USS files?
 - Is zImport used? How many files are being imported?

I think RTC is not alone in struggling to answer a question involving work area space.

I would very interested in getting more details on these 'non-specific' error messages to see if we can do a better job in quickly guiding you to the possibility that the error was issued because of a lack of work area space. If possible, please start opening up defects for each message you have seen and we can work on things from that end.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.