It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Accessing a file froma work item

Karim Riad (1189) | asked Jul 23 '12, 6:54 a.m.
Hello,
I know that we can associate a change set to a work item. But I need to link a specific file (not a change set) to a work item (maybe through plain Java Client Libraries) so by clicking on the work item, I can open the file. Is there a way to do that?
Thank you.

2 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jul 23 '12, 4:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can attach a file to a work item, so when you click on the attachment in the work item the file is opened.  (I don't know if this is what you want.  And if it is, I don't know how to do it programmatically.)

There is no way to link between a work item and a specific file that is under source control.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team  

Comments
Karim Riad commented Jul 23 '12, 4:59 p.m. | edited Jul 23 '12, 5:36 p.m.

Yes I want to attach a file to a work item so when I click on the work item, the file opens. is not possible to do so?

David Olsen commented Jul 23 '12, 5:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you click on a work item, the work item will be opened. There is no way to change that. You can attach a file to the work item as an attachment, but to open the file the user has to click on the attachment link in the work item.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 23 '12, 10:39 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can attach a specific file under version control to a work item by obtaining a URL for that file from the RTC Web UI.  In particular, you can get the URL of the current version of that file in a specific stream, or you can get a specific version of that file (from the "history" of that file).  You would then create a "related artifact" link in the work item using that URL.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.