It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

License question - trial vs. 10 free

Adam Hughes (13223) | asked Jul 12 '12, 3:34 p.m.
I have recently brought a Jazz Team Server online. During the process I activated the trial developer licenses. Once I was finished with my install I downloaded and imported the 10 free licenses. Now when I look at the licensing page I see that there are in fact 10 trial and 10 free licenses available. When I create users it is assigning the trial licenses that are going to expire on Sept 10 2012. When the trial licenses expire will the users automatically pick up one of the 10 free licenses?

Thx

3 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 12 '12, 5:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 13 '12, 3:12 a.m.
Hi,

when the trial licenses expire, the users will not automatically pick up the new licenses. But you can reassign all of them to the 10-free-license CAL with very few clicks:

Go to JTS server administration. In the web browser dropdown menu for Users, choose > Client Access Management. Choose the key you want to reassign in the dropdown list and hit the Reassign All button in the upper right corner. Choose new key (e.g. 10-free).

- Arne

permanent link
Adam Hughes (13223) | answered Jul 12 '12, 5:21 p.m.
That makes sense. I thought maybe I would be able to do that before the licenses expire but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does that line up with your expectations?

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 13 '12, 3:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

actually, I seem to have been wrong. It looks like in 4.0 the 10-free-developer might automatically take over once the 10 build-in trial developer has expired. I installed the 10-free-developer on a test server and observed that they are for all practical purposes summed up with the other keys of the same denomination (i.e. developer trial).

The available developer licenses are marked as 20 total. I assume as long as you do not assign it to more than 10 users you should be ok once the trial part expires.

- Arne

Comments
Dan Zentgraf commented Sep 25 '12, 12:23 p.m.

We are seeing a similar thing with purchased licenses. Users are still seeing the "impending expiration" message even though the purchased licenses have been installed. The admin screen shows the licenses grouped by role. We are assuming an auto roll of users from the trial to the real licenses - largely based on the fact that there does not seem to be a way to proactively force it in 4.0.

Could someone please post an authoritative answer for the expectation?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.