It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent a Workitem from becoming an ORPHAN .?

Muthukumar C (32712833) | asked Jul 12 '12, 2:05 a.m.
edited Jul 12 '12, 4:31 a.m.
Hi,

Its quite surprising that the RTC core functionality facilitate to find the Circular dependency and Double parent errors. But there is no facility to provide a Strict validation to prevent a Task from being removed from its parent and left as an orphan..

Anyways, I want to implement the same using Java API. But, Logic is getting complicated.
I can get the list of children removed from a WI. Then If I check whether that removed WI has a Parent I am getting reply as YES since the child removal has not been SAVED and my plug-in will work during the SAVE. The problem is that I am not able to predict an Orphan WI on the fly until the Transaction is committed.

Any suggestion please welcome...

Thanks
Muthu

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 14 '12, 8:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 14 '12, 8:22 a.m.
Hi,

It is quite surprising to me to desire a process where a work item should always have a parent. There are so many ways to organize work items. Parent child is probably not the best for all work items or types of work items.

However, what you want to do is to write a precondition that detects the removal of a parent and/or that the work item is supposed to be saved without one. This post contains quite some information for you to get started: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/81255/where-can-i-get-api-javadoc-for-rtc-40

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.