It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing RTC into WTX8.3

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | asked Aug 18 '10, 5:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am trying to install RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix3 into WebSphere Transformation Extender (WTX) v8.3. I used the Installation Manager and have selected the options to install into an existing Eclipse instance - and picked out the directory that contains the WTX eclipse.exe file. It also selects a Java JRE/JVM c:\program files\Java\jre6 - and I cannot change this location.

I try and run the install, and at this point, the installation fails and says check the log file.

When I try and run eclipse.exe -initialize from the commandline - this reports a problem trying to find the JVM or JRE. I suspect this is the problem.

How do I get Installation Manager to use another jre/jvm?

Any other suggestions on how to install RTC as a plugin into WTX 8.3?

thanks

anthony

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Aug 23 '10, 2:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am trying to install RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix3 into WebSphere Transformation Extender (WTX) v8.3.

Many thanks to WTX development for the help that got me started on this.

1) Installation

Install WTX 8.3 as per usual - my version installed into C:\IBM\WebSphere Transformation Extender 8.3

sure the directory " C:\IBM\WebSphere Transformation Extender 8.3" is in the Windows PATH

Install the RTC client as another Eclipse shell. My installation is here: C:\Program Files\IBM\TeamConcert

There is a links directory in the WTX installation - in my case it is here:

C:\IBM\WebSphere Transformation Extender 8.3\wtx_eclipse\eclipse\links. This will contain two files with the suffix .link

Copy this links directory into the RTC client - so links is now a subdirectory in C:\Program Files\IBM\TeamConcert

2) Starting RTC/WTX

You need to be running Java 1.6. I have this installed in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin. Java 1.5 will not work.

I recommend for the first time, you start RTC from a DOS shell in the installation directory (C:\Program Files\IBM\TeamConcert) using the command

eclipse.exe -clean -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin"

(note the quotes around the c:\.. )

The -clean forces Eclipse to re-read the current configuration, and should not be needed again once you have started successfully.

This will start RTC as per normal.

Switch to the WTX perspective. If you get errors related to WTX - check the -vm parameter above.

You will now have a normal WTX UI.

You may wish to add the vm parameters to eclipse,ini file in C:\Program Files\IBM\TeamConcert so you can start RTC from Windows Start menu.

3) Adding a WTX project to source control

From the Transformation Extender Development perspective, select the Navigator view (NOT the Extender Navigator view)
Right-button on the project and select Team->Add to Source Control.
Select Jazz Source Control as the source control provider.

Continue adding the project as you would any normal RTC project.

Use the Navigator view and the Team right-button menu to add further files to source control or perform other source control operations.

Please ignore any Source Control right-button menus on the Extender Navigator view - these seem to relate only to the CVS integration at this time.

permanent link
viswanath janakiraman (81224) | answered Nov 07 '12, 4:13 a.m.
Hi Anthony ,

Thanks lot for your information. We are using RTC 3.0.1.3 and about to upgrade RTC 4.x  could you please provide more information about the latest version of WTX that is compatible for RTC 4X ?

The above steps was so clear for RTC 2.0.0.2. Are the steps are same for RTC 4x to integrate WTX ?

Comments
Kenneth Munch commented Nov 29 '12, 4:38 a.m.

We have just done the exact same for v 4.0.0.1...

permanent link
suresh ramayanam (156) | answered Oct 30 '13, 11:57 a.m.
I'm not able to find the links folder in WTX 8.4.

Can you please advice if the process is different for WTX 8.4

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Nov 04 '13, 5:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Suresh
I have not tried the install with WTX 8.4.  However, take a look at WTX and see what version of Eclipse it uses.  This will help identify the correct installation procedure. 

One approach you can try is use Installation Manager (that comes with RTC) and use that to do the install.  As you run through the wizard to do an install of the Eclipse client, it will ask you if you want to install into an existing Eclipse shell.  If WTX appears in the list of possible Eclipse shells, then go ahead and try the install.  Installation Manager is quite smart and checks dependencies, etc for you.

Let us know how you get on.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.