It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there any concept of a recycle bin or similar in RTC?

Matt Shelton (4312) | asked Jun 22 '12, 11:12 a.m.
For a lot of fairly good reasons, we don't want users of every role being able to delete work items. For instance, I don't want to give an engineer the right to delete a defect simply because they don't think it's a bug. However, as a scrum team is self-organizing and plans their own tasks to deliver a user story's value, it's entirely reasonable that a team member should be able to delete a work item, especially a task.

From what I can see, using RTC 3.2, there is no partial deletion. If you delete a work item, it's gone. This means that any time a team wants to remove a task, they have to get a Jazz Admin involved. This is an undesirable level of overhead and process around removing a task. Is this resolved or mitigated in 4.0 or is there some other way to accomplish this? Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 22 '12, 11:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
AFAIK, work item deletion isn't something general users are supposed to do. It's reserved for cases where someone has inserted something unacceptable into the work item and it must be removed from the repository for legal, ethical, or cultural reasons. I'm thinking of content along the lines of third party code, threats, obscenities, etc. 

General users should only change a work item's state. For your case, if an engineer decides that a work item represents something that isn't a bug, they should just set the resolution to something like "Works for me" or "Invalid". In that case, the work item continues to exist (and is searchable) but can be ignored. 

Comments
Tim Mok commented Jun 25 '12, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with this. It makes more sense for the engineer to mark the work item as "works for me" or "invalid" if he doesn't think it's a bug. There's an audit trail for other users to see why no work was done for that work item.

permanent link
Richard Knaster (23817) | answered Oct 12 '12, 1:16 a.m.
Hi Matt:

A possible solution that I have used is to create an Iteration called "Recycle Bin" and then change the work item's "plan for" to "recycle bin" so that the work item is no longer visible.  It is also a good idea to change the status to invalid, works for me or some other state that is meaningful to you.

We normally create the "recycle bin" in its own timeline and use that for the entire project area.

Hope this helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.