It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a custom RTC work item link type without creating a plugin?

Patrick Wagstrom (17266) | asked Jun 14 '12, 1:55 p.m.
Our installation of RTC has a variety of customized work item types and we'd like to create some relations between those work items. It seems as though everything can use a "related" link type, but for custom types that's it.

I found this developer works article on creating custom link types, but it requires creating an RTC plugin and deploying it on the server as well as each client that might need to see the link type. Frankly, this is problematic because I'd rather not install plugins on the server and trying to remind all the developers to install the plugin every time they upgrade their client is going to be futile.

Is there a way to create a custom link type that without creating a full plugin, ideally something that is similar to creating custom attributes?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 15 '12, 3:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is not possible today to create a custom link type without creating a plug in. There are requests to be able to do that. If you want real business logic with the link type e.g. restrict which types to link, you need additional extensions.

You should be able to use any link types that expect two work items to link your custom work item type. I am not aware of any business logic that would distinguish work item types. In fact the built in work item types are as custom as your new ones, as far as I know.
Patrick Wagstrom selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Patrick Wagstrom commented Jul 25 '12, 9:10 a.m.

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, we weren't planning on using business logic within RTC, but rather we'd extract the information later using OSLC and make use of it with an external data analysis system.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 25 '12, 9:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Understood. You might want to search the work item, subscribe to it and support it.

Mike Shkolnik commented Sep 11 '14, 5:45 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.