It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I support testing on parallel timelines with QM?

Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | asked Jun 14 '12, 8:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I am testing the Process component in 3.0.1.4 builds.
I want to perform the same tests that were used when 3.0.1 shipped.
Luckily, there is a test plan that contains the tests: Process Test Plan. That plan is currently being used to test the 4.0.x builds.
So, I created a snapshot and then made a copy of the plan. I named the copy Process 3.0.x.x Test Plan and I set the timeline to the 3.0.x.x timeline.
Now, I want to create TERs for the test cases and begin testing. When I try to generate TERs, I run into the following:
 -- The button for generating TERs is only enabled if I select every test case. This less than ideal because different test cases require different platforms. (For instance, some should be run with a web browser and some with the Eclipse client).
 -- In the dialog for creating TERs, there is a selection for the test plan associated with the TERs. I want to set this to the Process 3.0.x.x Test Plan, but it does not show up. The original test plan (Process Test Plan) is the only choice.

My questions are:
1. Is there a way to generate TERs for a subset of the test cases? (I know this works in the Process Test Plan, but it does not in the Process 3.0.x.x Test Plan).
2. How do I associate generated TERs with the Process 3.0.x.x Test Plan?
3. Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there a better way to support testing code from parallel timelines?

2 answers

permanent link
Jason Sholl (761) | answered Jun 19 '12, 4:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Initially, after running through the steps, I couldn't generate any TERs.  Then I noticed that each Test Case inside the Test Plan was also a snapshot.  I readded all the Test Cases and then removed the snapshotted Test Cases and was then able to create TERs for Test Cases regardless of whether I selected one, some, or all of them.

Comments
Martha (Ruby) Andrews commented Jun 19 '12, 4:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks, Jason. If I re-add the test cases and don't use the snapshots, when the test scripts change, the changes will be reflected. This is not great for my scenario, since I want the tests to stay as they are, even though they may need to change in the mainline as the code evolves there.

If I don't use test case snapshots, I guess my other choice is that mainline development adds a new test script rather than modifying the existing one if steps change in a test case.

Is that my only choice?

thanks, Martha

permanent link
Robert Rassmann (9923) | answered Jun 18 '12, 3:05 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This seemed to work for me but I didn't make a copy of a snapshot. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.