It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requiring All Approvers to Change State

Dan Duce (2534645) | asked May 31 '12, 1:06 p.m.
I want to configure a life cycle so that approval must be received from all approvers before the asset can change state. I want the asset to automatically promote to the Approved state once all approvers have approved the asset.

I thought I had done this in the past by adding reviewers and clicking on the Approver box for the Review state, and then removing the Manual action from the next state transition.

This doesn't seem to work now. When I configure an asset like that with, say 3 reviewers, as soon as I move the asset to the Review state it automatically promotes to the Approved state even though none of the Approvers have approved it.

The transition rules allow a "Number of approvals from all users" option but it doesn't have an "all" option. You can only configure a specific number, which isn't what we need. If you select "1" for this condition then the asset will promote as soon as one of the three approvers approves it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jun 06 '12, 10:34 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Dan,

Does this now make sense? It may explain your other questions about why things are move directly between states. In other words if there are no transition conditions it will automatically transition.

Rich
Rich Kulp selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dan Duce commented Jun 06 '12, 2:22 p.m.

Hi Rich,

Yeah, I think we have it figured out now. I thought that RAM would automatically wait for all approvers if you did not specify a particular number of approvals.

Looks like I was wrong.

Thanks,

One other answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 31 '12, 3:12 p.m.
Hi,

You are correct there is no 'all'. But also you can't remove all transition conditions on a transition. If you do that it will automatically always transition when the state is entered.

There is normally a manual condition on a transition. You should normally leave that on if you want to push it by hand. If you NEVER want to push it by hand (and always by approvals only) then you need to remove the manual condition, but you MUST add a Number of Approvals condition and set it for the number you have configured as reviewers. That is the only way to get the transition to occur automatically only when all the configured reviewers have approved it.

If you want to either be able to push it manually (even if approvers not met) then you would leave the manual condition but do an OR instead of an AND and then add the approvals condition. In that case you can always push by hand, or it will automatically go if the approver count is met.

Thanks,
Rich

Comments
Rich Kulp commented Jun 05 '12, 12:37 p.m.

I'm just checking to see if things are working now that we have the new forums pages. There have been no updates to RAM's forums since before the update.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.