It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rename in RTC shell (Windows Explorer integration)

Takehiko Amano (1.3k3741) | asked May 30 '12, 1:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Jun 06 '12, 10:35 a.m. by Evan Hughes (2.4k1318)
When I rename the file in Windows Explorer (F2), not from context menu, all history seem gone. Is this restriction ? How can I restore previous file ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Aug 30 '12, 3:42 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can easily recover the original in the Shell. You need to navigate to View->Explorer Bar-> Team Concert Pending Changes View. This opens up a Pending Changes view within the explorer and it shows your changes just like it would do in a rich client.

So for example a moved file would show up as a +<file-name> in the new folder and a          -<file-name> in the old one.

Undoing those changes would restore the previous state of your files.

Cheers

--Rupa

Takehiko Amano selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Lakshmi Narasimhan T V (4415) | answered Jun 06 '12, 2:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC Shell, Rename action is available in the "Rational Team Concert" context menu.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered May 31 '12, 1:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When I rename the file in Windows Explorer (F2), not from context menu, all history seem gone. Is this restriction ? How can I restore previous file ?
If you rename outside of RTC SCM, it views the change as a delete and a file add. RTC SCM doesn't know if you performed a rename or deleted and added another file. This is the reason history is lost. It's best to use the RTC SCM rename action to rename. It will keep track of the change and preserve history.

To restore, you'll have to discard the change set that did the rename improperly. Then redo the rename with an RTC SCM rename action. I'm not familiar with the shell integration so I'm not sure of the proper method of performing the rename.

Comments
Takehiko Amano commented Jun 06 '12, 5:39 a.m. | edited Apr 01 '13, 3:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

When I try update operation, it did not upload original file. ClearCase indicates the file under the version control is missing. Subversion also indicates that the file might be renamed, user can associate with them.  Sooner or later,  I think this problem will be pointed out by many users. I'd suggest to think about how to recover original in later release (FixPack is preferable).

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 01 '13, 3:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The Windows Explorer move action also appears to do a delete/add, and not a move.  I've submitted work item A cross-component move from the RTC menu should be tracked as a move, rather than a delete/add (258652) requesting that it implement the operation as a move.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.