It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Specifying which HTML editor to have open

Bonnie John (4122) | asked May 24 '12, 12:34 p.m.
I have created a custom work item type and am using the Custom Attributes Layout so I can have several sections with HTML presentations in each tab. It looks great in the Eclipse rich client, but in the web interface it insists on closing the HTML editors for all but the last section on the page.

Of course, this is opposite what the user of the work item will want to do -- the user will want to fill in the information from the top to the bottom.

I'd love to tell RTC to keep them all open so the user sees all the places s/he needs to enter text, but I would be satisfied if I could at least tell it to keep the top one open, not the last one.

I've search help and forums and played around with the "expanded" property, but I haven found anything that works yet. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bonnie

12 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 24 '12, 12:54 p.m.
I don't think you can do this.
(all my custom workitems & attributes have the edit fields closed on workitem open)

the browser is a stateless editor.. so you have to tell it that you want to edit something, and that you are done.. so it can capture the data.
(all javascript, else you have to use the ugly html form processing)..

the eclipse client is a rich component where the state is known in the UI engine and the data can be collected all at once.

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 24 '12, 3:49 p.m.
Hmmm... The last editor is open without having to click and "edit" button, so it can't be that no editor can be open as your answer implies.
Below, the bottom red arrow points to the open editor and the top arrow points to a closed editor with the "Edit" button displayed, which is the one I want to be opened. I just want to know how to tell RTC which of the several editors in the tab should be open when the work item is created.
http://i.imgur.com/qbUlZ.png

permanent link
Gabriel Enriquez (3463) | answered May 25 '12, 12:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You mentioned you used "expanded" property and that should expand/collapse those sections as specified. Was that property (expanded) applied at each section? (with values true/false for expand/collapse accordingly).

--
Gabriel Enriquez, Jazz, Tracking & Planning

Hmmm... The last editor is open without having to click and "edit" button, so it can't be that no editor can be open as your answer implies.
Below, the bottom red arrow points to the open editor and the top arrow points to a closed editor with the "Edit" button displayed, which is the one I want to be opened. I just want to know how to tell RTC which of the several editors in the tab should be open when the work item is created.
http://i.imgur.com/qbUlZ.png

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 25 '12, 8:58 a.m.
The expanded property seems to effect only the way the rich client looks. the web interface looks the same whether I put in "expanded true". "expeande false" or leave the propoerties blank.

There is another clue, though. Since teh loading of a blank work item is not instantaneous, I can see that it loads first with both editors only and a fraction of a second later it closes the first editor (there are only two in this work item type).

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 25 '12, 9:00 a.m.
Ah - I see you mentioned the collapse property -- I didn't try that one. I will try it.

Is there a place that lists all the propoerties and what they do? I've been searching for such a list and am unable to find one.

Be back soon with an answer about collapse.
Bonnie

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 25 '12, 9:05 a.m.
With
expanded true
collapsed false
as the property values in both sections, the behavior is exactly the same on the web (only the second editor open) as it is if you don't have these properties set at all.
Bonnie

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 25 '12, 10:00 a.m.
I just rechecked all my custom presentations and attributes..

all editors are closed.

all the fields are HTML in the editor presentation definition.

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 25 '12, 11:21 a.m.
All mine are also of type HTML.
So yours is even worse than mine -- all being closed. I want them all open - or at least the first one open if only one can be open at a time.

permanent link
Gabriel Enriquez (3463) | answered May 25 '12, 3:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I created an enhancement for it, please help us to add any comments on it.

Also, for clarification purposes. The "expanded" property is a valid property with a boolean value (i.e., true or false); "collapse" is not an existing property (it was only used for describing the behavior), and this property only applies to collapse or expand a section (not a presentation, like the HTML editor). The Web UI shows the existing properties that apply for sections when configuring Work Item Editor Presentions through a drop down.

--
Gabriel Enriquez, IBM Rational, Tracking & Planning

All mine are also of type HTML.
So yours is even worse than mine -- all being closed. I want them all open - or at least the first one open if only one can be open at a time.

permanent link
Bonnie John (4122) | answered May 25 '12, 6:00 p.m.
I also discovered that the behavior is browser dependent. On Firefox, it shows hte last editor open (the behvaior I was complaining about); on Safari it shows the first editor open (the behavior I wanted); on Chrome it shows all editors closed (all on Mac OS, I don't have access to a Windows machine).
It sure would be nice for the Web UI to look the same on all browsers -- you can't control the user experiencer when it looks different for different user groups.

I found that myself working in the Eclipse client for defining my work item types, so I didn't see the drop-down for properties that the Web UI shows -- that's nice, thanks. Is there anythig that tells you what the properties mean? (e.g., what's "autocollect"?)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.