It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Checkin always changes the state to Done

James Kim (1111) | asked May 17 '12, 1:17 p.m.
Hi,

So the problem is that whenever I perform a checkin, the state of the task is always changed to Done . I tried looking through possible configuration and since I couldn't find where I can make this possible change, I am posting on this forum. I currently am using Eclipse 3.7.1 with RTC of 3.0.1.v20110602_1036.

Thanks for the help!

5 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 17 '12, 9:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have not seen this behavior. Perhaps you can provide more detail, as in exactly what Eclipse menu item you are using to perform the checkin, and any pop-up dialog boxes you are seeing (if any).

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi,

So the problem is that whenever I perform a checkin, the state of the task is always changed to Done . I tried looking through possible configuration and since I couldn't find where I can make this possible change, I am posting on this forum. I currently am using Eclipse 3.7.1 with RTC of 3.0.1.v20110602_1036.

Thanks for the help!

permanent link
James Kim (1111) | answered May 18 '12, 10:08 a.m.
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) After performing a checkin of the code, I use Eclipse's "Pending Changes" View to perform the delivery.

2) Then I right click on the specific "Change Set" and perform "Deliver and Resolve Work Item"

3) Then I select the work item that is associated with this change set and afterwards the work item is set to Done. My desire is to associate my change set with a specific work item and I noticed when I perform Deliver then it is not associated so thought this action was the proper one.

Anyway if I have taken a wrong action sorry for wasting your time and can you provide the correction?

Thanks again!

I have not seen this behavior. Perhaps you can provide more detail, as in exactly what Eclipse menu item you are using to perform the checkin, and any pop-up dialog boxes you are seeing (if any).

Cheers,
Geoff

Hi,

Thanks for the help!
:roll:

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 18 '12, 2:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

1) After performing a checkin of the code, I use Eclipse's "Pending Changes" View to perform the delivery.

2) Then I right click on the specific "Change Set" and perform "Deliver and Resolve Work Item"

3) Then I select the work item that is associated with this change set and afterwards the work item is set to Done. My desire is to associate my change set with a specific work item and I noticed when I perform Deliver then it is not associated so thought this action was the proper one.

"Resolve work item" means to change the work item to Done or Resolved, or whatever the resolved state is for that work item type. RTC is doing exactly what you are telling it to do. So yes, you are indeed running the wrong command.

What you want to do is to associate the change set with a work item. That is done separately from delivering the change set to the stream. In the Pending Changes view after you have checked in the changes but before delivering the change set, right click on the change set and select Related Artifacts > Associate Work Item. Once you have an associated work item and everything is tested to your satisfaction, you use the Deliver command (rather than Deliver and Resolve Work Item) to deliver the change set to the stream.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

permanent link
James Kim (1111) | answered May 18 '12, 2:47 p.m.
Great thanks for all the help, appreciate it much!

"Resolve work item" means to change the work item to Done or Resolved, or whatever the resolved state is for that work item type. RTC is doing exactly what you are telling it to do. So yes, you are indeed running the wrong command.

What you want to do is to associate the change set with a work item. That is done separately from delivering the change set to the stream. In the Pending Changes view after you have checked in the changes but before delivering the change set, right click on the change set and select Related Artifacts > Associate Work Item. Once you have an associated work item and everything is tested to your satisfaction, you use the Deliver command (rather than Deliver and Resolve Work Item) to deliver the change set to the stream.

--

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 18 '12, 8:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also, note that if you are using the Eclipse client, a short-cut for associating your new change sets with your current work item is to use the "Set Current Work" operation (right click in the bottom right corner). Then every time you create a new change set in the Eclipse client, the change set will be automatically associated with that work item (especially useful if you are creating several change sets for that work item). It's also provides you quick access to that work item (just right click over the bottom right corner, and select "Open").

Cheers,
Geoff

Great thanks for all the help, appreciate it much!

--

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.