It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prohibit customization of a child project

Chirayu Patel (4611012) | asked May 14 '12, 4:28 p.m.
Scenario : In my organization various teams will be using organization -wide accepted standard process. How to implement a standard process to accomplish this ?

I have created a Project Area based on Scrum Template and made some customization to it. So this is my parent ( standard project with customized Scrum process). Now I want to create individual projects for various areas based of this parent project's process.

I want to:

1 - Prohibit the customization of child projects process. HOw to do it?
NOte: I have read some articles about Unconfigured Process template and ( FInal ignore customization .....). Doesn't seem to be working to meet my need.

2 - Future changes to parent standard project (more process customizations ) must propogate to the existing child project. How to do it ?

Any guidance to the above matters is greatly appreciated

8 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 14 '12, 5:21 p.m.
In your parent project process definition, mark each section final (there are multiple finals).. the child cannot customize any 'final' sections.

create the child projects from the empty scrum project, and inheriting the master.

the child will inherit the master..

in some cases there are caching times between the two which may cause changes at the master not to appear in the child for some indeterminate time.. shutting down the server and restarting cold
seems to help here

permanent link
Chirayu Patel (4611012) | answered May 15 '12, 10:55 a.m.
In your parent project process definition, mark each section final (there are multiple finals).. the child cannot customize any 'final' sections.

create the child projects from the empty scrum project, and inheriting the master.

the child will inherit the master..

in some cases there are caching times between the two which may cause changes at the master not to appear in the child for some indeterminate time.. shutting down the server and restarting cold
seems to help here

Thanks Sam,

Still no luck. Here is what I tried

1) Created a Scrum based master project, Added couple Enumneration and checked the Final box in that ( so that child project cannot make change to enumeration).

2) Exported and imported this customized Scrum template.

3) Created a child project :

- Child project was created selecting the Custom template (Scrum template that was exported Step 2 ), Checked the Process sharing to use the master project,Restarted server, This project shows the enumeration created in the master project. However I was able to modify the same enumeration in child project ( which I didn't expected as per the Final settings in master project ).

- Now added some more enumeration in the master project. Restart the server. Because the child project Process sharing was checked to use the master project after the server was restarted ( as per your suggestion ), I was hoping to see the additional enumeration changes to propogate to the child project but no luck.

Let me know if I did it right.

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 15 '12, 12:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

3) Created a child project :

- Child project was created selecting the Custom template (Scrum template that was exported Step 2 ),

One thing that wasn't quite correct was when you created the child project area. The child project area should not use the same process template as the master project area (the modified Scrum template in your case). The child project area should use the Unconfigured Process template. The Unconfigured Process template defines absolutely no process, so the child project area inherits everything from the master.

(I am not familiar enough with the behavior of the various final flags to know if the behavior that you saw is a bug or is working as designed. It might be that you needed to check a different final flag somewhere else.)

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 16 '12, 8:06 a.m.
As David said ou must configure this project using the Unconfigured process template, not Scrum, and not the model you exported/imported.

once created, in the new project config, you change the sharing option on the lower left of the Overview page to 'Use the process from another project area', and browse to locate the model u imported

then save the config change on the new project area

permanent link
Chirayu Patel (4611012) | answered May 16 '12, 9:14 a.m.
As David said ou must configure this project using the Unconfigured process template, not Scrum, and not the model you exported/imported.

once created, in the new project config, you change the sharing option on the lower left of the Overview page to 'Use the process from another project area', and browse to locate the model u imported

then save the config change on the new project area

Thanks David and Sam. I was able to make it work (i.e propogating changes made in parent project's process to the child project's process) as you both suggested. But prohibiting changes to the child project's process (marking Final ... e.g I was testing Enumerations ), I am still NOT restricted in child project from modifying the Enumerations even though the parent project's Enumeration is marked Final. I guess it could be a bug, I am using 4.0 RC3 version

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 16 '12, 10:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

But prohibiting changes to the child project's process (marking Final ... e.g I was testing Enumerations ), I am still NOT restricted in child project from modifying the Enumerations even though the parent project's Enumeration is marked Final. I guess it could be a bug, I am using 4.0 RC3 version

When you edit the enumerations in the child project area, can you see your changes when you create work items in the child project area?

For permissions, the final flag is enforced at runtime, not when editing a project area or team area. If the final flag is set in a parent area, you can still edit the permissions in the child area, but the changes have no effect.

I assume (but have not verified) that the final flag behaves the same way for enumerations. You can edit the enumerations all you want in the child project area, but the changes have no effect.

--

permanent link
Chirayu Patel (4611012) | answered May 16 '12, 11:45 a.m.

But prohibiting changes to the child project's process (marking Final ... e.g I was testing Enumerations ), I am still NOT restricted in child project from modifying the Enumerations even though the parent project's Enumeration is marked Final. I guess it could be a bug, I am using 4.0 RC3 version

When you edit the enumerations in the child project area, can you see your changes when you create work items in the child project area?

For permissions, the final flag is enforced at runtime, not when editing a project area or team area. If the final flag is set in a parent area, you can still edit the permissions in the child area, but the changes have no effect.

I assume (but have not verified) that the final flag behaves the same way for enumerations. You can edit the enumerations all you want in the child project area, but the changes have no effect.

--

David, Just verified updating enumeration in child project. You are right, the changes made in child project's enumeration doesn't reflect in that project's work items . It only shows the enumeration values inherited from parent project even after the changes were made to child project. I was expecting that it would prohibit me from making changes to child project instead of allowing me and later ignoring those changes during runtime of child project.

permanent link
Chirayu Patel (4611012) | answered May 16 '12, 11:46 a.m.

--

David, Just verified updating enumeration in child project. You are right, the changes made in child project's enumeration doesn't reflect in that project's work items . It only shows the enumeration values inherited from parent project even after the changes were made to child project. I was expecting that it would prohibit me from making changes to child project instead of allowing me and later ignoring those changes during runtime of child project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.