It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Asset Linking Question

Dan Duce (2534645) | asked May 14 '12, 3:43 p.m.
Is it possible to link an Approved asset to another asset without resetting the Approved assets state back to Draft?

Essentially, I want to Modify the Approved asset and save the new linking, but I don't want to have to put the asset through another lifecycle.

I have the Versioning Policy enabled so that changes to the Artifacts or the Description cause a new version to be created. I don't see anything that includes or excludes the Linking in the versioning policy configuration.

Is what I'm describing possible?

Thanks,

17 answers

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered May 14 '12, 5:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you using the legacy review process? Could you use lifecycles? In lifecycles you can easily control the rules that determine when an asset changes states.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered May 15 '12, 7:09 a.m.
Are you using the legacy review process? Could you use lifecycles? In lifecycles you can easily control the rules that determine when an asset changes states.

Hi Sheehan,

We're using RAM 7.5.1 with custom lifecycles. It looks like as soon as you change a link on an approved asset that the asset automatically goes back to Draft state. I don't see any way you can over-ride that.

We use the versioning policy to force a version number to be upgraded when the asset is edited. I was hoping that linking could be excluded from the conditions that are considered to be an update.

Any suggestions?

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered May 15 '12, 11:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds to me like your asset is still using the legacy review process. You need to navigate to
Administration -> Communities -> (Select your community) -> Lifecycles -> Legacy Review Processes

Either delete the existing legacy review processes are modify the rules so that assets to not enter the legacy review process.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered May 15 '12, 12:59 p.m.
It sounds to me like your asset is still using the legacy review process. You need to navigate to
Administration -> Communities -> (Select your community) -> Lifecycles -> Legacy Review Processes

Either delete the existing legacy review processes are modify the rules so that assets to not enter the legacy review process.

No, the asset shows that it is using the custom lifecycle that I created from a master lifecycle.

We don't use any legacy review cycles.

Thanks,

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 15 '12, 1:12 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Then what do you have configured for the conditions on the transition from Approved to Draft? If it is custom based upon Standard workflow (which is the workflow that has an approved and a draft state) there needs to be something configured on the transistion.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered May 16 '12, 10:33 a.m.
Hi,

Then what do you have configured for the conditions on the transition from Approved to Draft? If it is custom based upon Standard workflow (which is the workflow that has an approved and a draft state) there needs to be something configured on the transistion.

We don't have any conditions for that transition. It's left as manual. Users create a new version when they are ready. I plan on adding the Cleanup policy to the lifecycle soon so that it will retire old versions automatically.
So, back to the original question, adding a link to another asset is considered "editing" right? I think it's the version policy that is causing my problem. Linking isn't listed as one of the things that can be ignored for forcing a new version number.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered May 16 '12, 10:35 a.m.
Hi,

We don't have any conditions for that transition. It's a manual action. Essentially, users click the Create New Version button when they want to edit the asset. I do plan on adding the Cleanup policy to the lifecycle to remove old versions when new ones are approved.

Back to the original question... I think the version policy is causing my problem. It looks like linking to another asset is considered to be editing. There is nothing in the version policy configuration that lets you exclude that activity. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 16 '12, 1:05 p.m.
Are you saying that it goes to Draft when clicking new asset version?

In that case there is a misunderstanding. Clicking new asset version does not update the asset, it creates a brand new asset with the new version. Since it is a new asset it would naturally be in the Draft state. The asset it came from is still there in Approved and not changed.

Rich

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered May 17 '12, 6:08 a.m.
Are you saying that it goes to Draft when clicking new asset version?

In that case there is a misunderstanding. Clicking new asset version does not update the asset, it creates a brand new asset with the new version. Since it is a new asset it would naturally be in the Draft state. The asset it came from is still there in Approved and not changed.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the confusion...too many topics in one string, I guess.

The Create New Version works fine. When users need to update content they create a new version and leave the old one in place.

But sometimes, they just want to link an approved asset to another asset without modifying any of the other content. In that case, we would like to be able to create the new link in the existing, approved asset, without having to invoke a new review/approve cycle.

Currently, the approved asset goes back to a draft state whenever a new link is added even though no transition is defined to cause this.

I think what is happening is that the Asset Versioning policy is making this happen. When I tested it using a lifecycle that did NOT have that policy, the approved asset could be saved without going back to the draft state after a new link was added.

When the version policy is in place, the approved asset goes back to draft when a new link is added.

Can you confirm that this is how it should be working?

Thanks!

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 17 '12, 11:28 a.m.
The only Asset Version Policy I can see is one labeled "Default Versioning Policy". Is that one you are talking about?

If so, all it does is return good or failure. And failure occurs only if the policy was configured to check "description", "artifacts", or "classification" was changed then a new version is required. The policy itself doesn't actually change the asset in any way.

There must then be some transition configured on the Approved->Draft transition that if the policy fails then go to Draft.

I don't know of any other policy that comes with RAM that has to do with versions. Maybe this is a customized policy that someone installed on your system?

Rich

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.