It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Signal to JBE that build was not necessary

Marcel Groeneweg (311) | asked May 14 '12, 7:32 a.m.
Hi everyone,

I have a build definition that runs a command.
No RTC pre build step has been configured as we need more control on configuring the local workspace prior to loading it.

If no new changes were found during the teamAccept task , how can I inform JBE that the build was not necessary?

I found the ANT task completeTeamBuild which would allow me to do that, but that seems intended for use when you take control of the complete build lifecycle, not for use within JBE controlled builds.

Thanks in advance,

Marcel

Accepted answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jun 15 '12, 10:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I found the ANT task completeTeamBuild which would allow me to do that, but that seems intended for use when you take control of the complete build lifecycle, not for use within JBE controlled builds. 

That's correct.  The buildNotNecessary="true" option on completeTeamBuild will delete the build result, but that can only be called if the build has not yet been started (i.e. in a pre-build phase).  In 4.0, we've added a deleteBuildResult , which gives you more control.
Marcel Groeneweg selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marcel Groeneweg commented Jun 15 '12, 11:08 a.m.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Nice that the deleteBuildResult has been added to RTC 4. We have only just migrated to RTC3. Is there any chance deleteBuildResult gets added to RTC 3 as well?

With regards,

Marcel

Nick Edgar commented Jun 15 '12, 1:58 p.m. | edited Jun 15 '12, 1:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

While we have the fixpacks (3.0.1.x) approx every quarter, they're intended only for major/critical defect fixes, not new features.  Post-4.0, we're looking to see what we can do to provide more of a continuous delivery model, to get features out to customers more frequently.

As a workaround, one option is:
- move the build script to its own component
- configure the build definition for Jazz SCM, but exclude all components from load except for the component with the build script
- in the build script, load the workspace, with whatever custom options you need, as you do now

That way, JBE's pre-build check for whether a build is necessary will still run.  It's based on which changes are accepted into the build workspace, not which components are loaded.  Your build script can then do whatever you need to for the load.

Marcel Groeneweg commented Jun 17 '12, 1:04 a.m.

That would not help me because RTC would abandon the build when there are no changes on the build script component. The deleteBuildResult would do the trick for us, I guess I will have to wait until we get RTC 4

Nick Edgar commented Jun 18 '12, 10:53 a.m. | edited Jun 18 '12, 10:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, as I mentioned above, the check for whether a build is necessary is "based on which changes are accepted into the build workspace, not which components are loaded."

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.