It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Source Control Delivery Approval

mark byrd (14712330) | asked Apr 10 '12, 1:15 p.m.
I have a workspace that can flow target to three different streams. How can I define a Project Area, Process Configuration, Team Configuration, Operation Behavior, Source Control Deliver that requires Work Item approval when delivery is to one of the streams, but not when delivery is to one of the other two streams?

15 answers

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 30 '12, 7:43 a.m.
On my Thu, 19 Apr 2012 @ 1128 post, I thought the problem was a slow Jazz server. Ive since noticed that with a Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Deliver (client) precondition The first deliver does not invoke the precondition. Delivery occurs without approval. All subsequent deliveries do invoke the precondition. Why is the precondition skipped on first delivery? Is it because the stream is empty? Im using Deliver (client), instead of Deliver (server) because Deliver (server) gets the error noted in my Mon, 30 Apr 2012 @ 719 post

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 30 '12, 12:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mark,

I'd suggest starting two new separate threads on the two issues you are encountering, i.e. one thread on the cvc-complex-type.3.1 error, and a separate thread on the "first deliver does not invoke precondition" issue. (Unfortunately, I personally don't have any answers for you on them).

Also, since these certainly appear to be bugs, either submitting a defect work item, and/or contacting Rational Support, would be ways to accellerate the resolution (responding to forum threads is done on a "volunteer" basis).

Cheers,
Geoff

On my Thu, 19 Apr 2012 @ 1128 post, I thought the problem was a slow Jazz server. Ive since noticed that with a Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Deliver (client) precondition The first deliver does not invoke the precondition. Delivery occurs without approval. All subsequent deliveries do invoke the precondition. Why is the precondition skipped on first delivery? Is it because the stream is empty? Im using Deliver (client), instead of Deliver (server) because Deliver (server) gets the error noted in my Mon, 30 Apr 2012 @ 719 post

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 30 '12, 6:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One key point I neglected to mention in my post below:

Only client-side preconditions can be declared to be "overrideable" by the user (i.e. perform the action even if the precondition wants to disallow it). So even if all of the information needed by the precondition is available on the server, you would still need to declare it to be a client-side precondition if you wanted to allow the user to overide the precondition.

I've submitted work item 209634 to allow server-side preconditions to be overrideable.

Cheers,
Geoff

The Deliver(client) preconditions are executed on the client, while the Deliver(server) preconditions are executed on the server. In general, you want all preconditions to run on the server, so the server (including the web server) can ensure those preconditions have been executed.

But there are some preconditions that must be run on the client, namely those that need to look at the local state of the client. This is illustrated by the list of predefined preconditions. In particular, most of these preconditions refer to the build/compile state of the workspace (information not available on the server), such as: "prohibit unused imports" and "prohibit workspace errors".

Note that there are three client-side preconditions that do not require client-side information ("require work item approval", "require work item and comments", "descriptive change sets"). These are included for backward compatibility, since they were made available in the first release of RTC, but have since then made available as server-side preconditions as well, so you should always use the server-side form of them. I've submitted work item 209427 to get these client-side preconditions marked as "deprecated" with a pointer to the server-side preconditions that replace them.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks. I'm on RTC 3 and it does not seem to have that. I have a folloup question concerning RAD8 with the RTC3 Eclipse Plugin ...

When setting up Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Whats the difference between Deliver (client) and Deliver (stream)? Both say The deliver operation is performed when changes or baselines are delivered from a workspace to a stream.

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered May 01 '12, 7:21 a.m.
Thanks for all your help.
One key point I neglected to mention in my post below:

Only client-side preconditions can be declared to be "overrideable" by the user (i.e. perform the action even if the precondition wants to disallow it). So even if all of the information needed by the precondition is available on the server, you would still need to declare it to be a client-side precondition if you wanted to allow the user to overide the precondition.

I've submitted work item 209634 to allow server-side preconditions to be overrideable.

Cheers,
Geoff

The Deliver(client) preconditions are executed on the client, while the Deliver(server) preconditions are executed on the server. In general, you want all preconditions to run on the server, so the server (including the web server) can ensure those preconditions have been executed.

But there are some preconditions that must be run on the client, namely those that need to look at the local state of the client. This is illustrated by the list of predefined preconditions. In particular, most of these preconditions refer to the build/compile state of the workspace (information not available on the server), such as: "prohibit unused imports" and "prohibit workspace errors".

Note that there are three client-side preconditions that do not require client-side information ("require work item approval", "require work item and comments", "descriptive change sets"). These are included for backward compatibility, since they were made available in the first release of RTC, but have since then made available as server-side preconditions as well, so you should always use the server-side form of them. I've submitted work item 209427 to get these client-side preconditions marked as "deprecated" with a pointer to the server-side preconditions that replace them.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks. I'm on RTC 3 and it does not seem to have that. I have a folloup question concerning RAD8 with the RTC3 Eclipse Plugin ...

When setting up Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Whats the difference between Deliver (client) and Deliver (stream)? Both say The deliver operation is performed when changes or baselines are delivered from a workspace to a stream.

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered May 11 '12, 10:34 a.m.
I have a source control deliver (client) require work item approval type review on team A that owns stream A. I have a source control deliver (client) require work item approval type approval on team B that owns stream B.

Using the RTC Eclipse plugin, I can only add new approvals of type review. If I select type approval, it gets recorded as type review.

Using the web client, I can add new approvals of type review or approval.

Is this because I used control deliver (client), and not (server), or is it a bug in the RTC Eclipse plugin.

RAD8 8.0.4 iFix1, RTC 3.0.1.2

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.