It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are paths displayed as unresolved in the Change set summary?

Tobias Burkhardt (181815) | asked Sep 02 '14, 4:25 a.m.
edited Sep 02 '14, 4:26 a.m.
Hello together,

I have one question without a loaded repository workspace I get following message if I open a Change Set in the Change Summary or Change Explorer. 

My question is now why can't RTC resolve the path without selecting a stream or a repository workspace?
And how is the path location saved that with a stream or repository workspace it is possible?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards
Tobias

Accepted answer

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Sep 02 '14, 1:37 p.m.
Tobias Burkhardt ,

This was answered by a Jazz developer in another question:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/103431/urgentfetch-the-the-path-of-a-file-at-changeset-without-using-the-workspace

The scenario he covers is sort of an edge case in which one user is modifying a file in their workspace, but another user has moved the file to another part of the component in their workspace. Obviously you want both workspaces to have the same reference to the same versionable (avoid an evil twin, using ClearCase-speak), but flexible enough so that users can move things around without impacting others.

In that sense you'd need a workspace/stream for context in order to scope to the correct versionable. Stream A may have that file in Component/src/foo, Stream B may have that same file in Component/src/bar. You don't want to lose version history between the two, even though both streams have the file in separate locations, so it makes sense that IBM would need something higher than any individual changeset to figure out the contextualized location with respect to a stream or workspace.
Tobias Burkhardt selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tobias Burkhardt commented Sep 04 '14, 7:52 a.m.

Thanks Winston Enos for your answer!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.