It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Source Control Delivery Approval

mark byrd (14712330) | asked Apr 10 '12, 1:15 p.m.
I have a workspace that can flow target to three different streams. How can I define a Project Area, Process Configuration, Team Configuration, Operation Behavior, Source Control Deliver that requires Work Item approval when delivery is to one of the streams, but not when delivery is to one of the other two streams?

15 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 10 '12, 1:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The project/team area that is the owner of a stream determines the process that is invoked on delivery to that stream, so you would need to have different project/team areas as the owners of those two streams.

Cheers,
Geoff

I have a workspace that can flow target to three different streams. How can I define a Project Area, Process Configuration, Team Configuration, Operation Behavior, Source Control Deliver that requires Work Item approval when delivery is to one of the streams, but not when delivery is to one of the other two streams?

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 10 '12, 3:42 p.m.
I now have each stream owned by its own team. When I go to the Project Area, Process Configuration, Team Configuration, Operation Behavior .. I do not see my multiple Team Areas. I still see Roles. How do I assign process behavior to a Team Area? Do I have to have different Roles in each Team Area?

The project/team area that is the owner of a stream determines the process that is invoked on delivery to that stream, so you would need to have different project/team areas as the owners of those two streams.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 10 '12, 4:12 p.m.
Open the team area itself, not the project area. Then the secret handshake to customize process in the team area is (in Eclipse), go to the Process Customization section (upper right), and click on "Customize the Process". This will create a Process Customization tab, where you can then go in and customize the process for the team area.

Cheers,
Geoff

I now have each stream owned by its own team. When I go to the Project Area, Process Configuration, Team Configuration, Operation Behavior .. I do not see my multiple Team Areas. I still see Roles. How do I assign process behavior to a Team Area? Do I have to have different Roles in each Team Area?

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 18 '12, 3:08 p.m.

Project Area = PA-X
..Team Hiererchy
....T-X user in question is defined at this level
......T-X1 no users defined so will default to parent T-X
T-X1 process customization
..operation behavior, source control, deliver (client) & deliver (server)
....Everyone (default)
......Precondition: Require work item approval
......Required Approvals: 1 approver from the approver group
No other customizations exist.
No approvals were done on the work item.
Deliverd work item from user workspace to stream S-X owned by team T-X1
The deliver occurred even though there was no approval.
Why? What piece am I missing?

Open the team area itself, not the project area. Then the secret handshake to customize process in the team area is (in Eclipse), go to the Process Customization section (upper right), and click on "Customize the Process". This will create a Process Customization tab, where you can then go in and customize the process for the team area.

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 19 '12, 11:28 a.m.
Im not sure why, but what was not working yesterday, is working today. Maybe my Jazz server was slow in applying my customizations.
Today, my approval customizations are working as I expected.

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 20 '12, 1:12 p.m.
Is there a way to set up a process configuration so that delivery to a certain stream fails unless the work item is in a specific state?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 21 '12, 9:09 p.m.
In RTC 4.0, there is a "Require Work Items to Match Query" precondtion in Team Configuration -> Source Control -> Deliver (Server), that would let you specify this. But I don't know in what release this was first introduced.

Cheers,
Geoff

Is there a way to set up a process configuration so that delivery to a certain stream fails unless the work item is in a specific state?

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 27 '12, 8:47 a.m.
Thanks. I'm on RTC 3 and it does not seem to have that. I have a folloup question concerning RAD8 with the RTC3 Eclipse Plugin ...

When setting up Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Whats the difference between Deliver (client) and Deliver (stream)? Both say The deliver operation is performed when changes or baselines are delivered from a workspace to a stream.

Also ... When Deliver (stream) Require Work Item Approval precondition is used, this error occurs cvc-complex-type.3.1: Value 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server.deltaRequireWorkItemApproval' of attribute 'id' of element 'precondition' is not valid with respect to the corresponding attribute use. Attribute 'id' has a fixed value of 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server. requireWorkItemApproval'.

When Deliver (client) Require Work Item Approval precondition is used, the error does not occur.

In RTC 4.0, there is a "Require Work Items to Match Query" precondtion in Team Configuration -> Source Control -> Deliver (Server), that would let you specify this. But I don't know in what release this was first introduced.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 29 '12, 10:40 a.m.
The Deliver(client) preconditions are executed on the client, while the Deliver(server) preconditions are executed on the server. In general, you want all preconditions to run on the server, so the server (including the web server) can ensure those preconditions have been executed.

But there are some preconditions that must be run on the client, namely those that need to look at the local state of the client. This is illustrated by the list of predefined preconditions. In particular, most of these preconditions refer to the build/compile state of the workspace (information not available on the server), such as: "prohibit unused imports" and "prohibit workspace errors".

Note that there are three client-side preconditions that do not require client-side information ("require work item approval", "require work item and comments", "descriptive change sets"). These are included for backward compatibility, since they were made available in the first release of RTC, but have since then made available as server-side preconditions as well, so you should always use the server-side form of them. I've submitted work item 209427 to get these client-side preconditions marked as "deprecated" with a pointer to the server-side preconditions that replace them.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks. I'm on RTC 3 and it does not seem to have that. I have a folloup question concerning RAD8 with the RTC3 Eclipse Plugin ...

When setting up Team Area, Process Customization, Operation Behavior, Source Control Whats the difference between Deliver (client) and Deliver (stream)? Both say The deliver operation is performed when changes or baselines are delivered from a workspace to a stream.

Also ... When Deliver (stream) Require Work Item Approval precondition is used, this error occurs cvc-complex-type.3.1: Value 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server.deltaRequireWorkItemApproval' of attribute 'id' of element 'precondition' is not valid with respect to the corresponding attribute use. Attribute 'id' has a fixed value of 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server. requireWorkItemApproval'.

When Deliver (client) Require Work Item Approval precondition is used, the error does not occur.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
mark byrd (14712330) | answered Apr 30 '12, 7:19 a.m.
Thank you for the information. I just noticed an error in my post. It should have said

"When Deliver (server) Require Work Item Approval precondition is used, this error occurs cvc-complex-type.3.1: Value 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server.deltaRequireWorkItemApproval' of attribute 'id' of element 'precondition' is not valid with respect to the corresponding attribute use. Attribute 'id' has a fixed value of 'com.ibm.team.process.deliver.server. requireWorkItemApproval'. "

Can you tell me anything about this error? Thanks.

The Deliver(client) preconditions are executed on the client, while the Deliver(server) preconditions are executed on the server. In general, you want all preconditions to run on the server, so the server (including the web server) can ensure those preconditions have been executed.

But there are some preconditions that must be run on the client, namely those that need to look at the local state of the client. This is illustrated by the list of predefined preconditions. In particular, most of these preconditions refer to the build/compile state of the workspace (information not available on the server), such as: "prohibit unused imports" and "prohibit workspace errors".

Note that there are three client-side preconditions that do not require client-side information ("require work item approval", "require work item and comments", "descriptive change sets"). These are included for backward compatibility, since they were made available in the first release of RTC, but have since then made available as server-side preconditions as well, so you should always use the server-side form of them. I've submitted work item 209427 to get these client-side preconditions marked as "deprecated" with a pointer to the server-side preconditions that replace them.

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

Comments
William Hunsicker commented Jun 28 '13, 8:17 a.m.

I am also getting this error. (not valid with respect to the corresponding attribute)  Did you ever resolve this and how? 

mark byrd commented Jun 28 '13, 9:21 a.m.

RTC Development has it listed as Defect 209679 … cvc-complex-type.3.1 error ... Evan Hughes May  2, 2012 9:40 AM … This is effectively a warning. It does not degrade performance or functionality.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.