It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Ignore time stamps? Recognize only files with changed data?

Kris Rovell-Rixx (36268) | asked Apr 02 '12, 4:31 p.m.
A person I support wants to extract a zipped directory structure into a workspace and have RTC recognize, as unresolved changes, only the files that have changes to the data in a file as opposed to just a changed modified date. I've not found such an RTC option.

He gets a drop that's a zip file containing all files, not just changed files.

He wants to avoid having to diff each file to find what's changed. Of course he mentions that ClearCase does this by default.

Thanks!
Kris

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 03 '12, 6:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The date is not that interesting to RTC, at least from what I have seen.
I have done the following in the past:
- Unzip the file over the files in the eclipse workspace
- Refresh eclipse.

If I remember correctly after the refresh Eclipse should only show the files that changed. I am also - using zip restoring complete Eclipse workspaces. Due to an isssue with my zip algorithm the date does not match what RTC thinks it should be. I refresh, no outgoing changes and the workspaces are in sync again.

Do you see a different behavior?

permanent link
Kris Rovell-Rixx (36268) | answered Apr 03 '12, 1:00 p.m.
The date is not that interesting to RTC, at least from what I have seen.
I have done the following in the past:
- Unzip the file over the files in the eclipse workspace
- Refresh eclipse.

If I remember correctly after the refresh Eclipse should only show the files that changed. I am also - using zip restoring complete Eclipse workspaces. Due to an isssue with my zip algorithm the date does not match what RTC thinks it should be. I refresh, no outgoing changes and the workspaces are in sync again.

Do you see a different behavior?

Thanks for the comment!

I'll look further into what is really changing in the files. I don't yet have access to the environment where the issue occurs.

... and my initial experiment must not have been sufficient.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 03 '12, 2:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Kris,

please let us know of the outcome.

permanent link
Kris Rovell-Rixx (36268) | answered Apr 05 '12, 6:24 p.m.
Kris,

Hi Ralph,

I just heard from the guy that reported the issue. He promised he'd get sample zip files to me next week. Friday is a company holiday.

Now, he sees that a text diff shows nothing but a binary diff does. He's still looking into where the problem starts.

He promises that he'll send me samples of the zip files next week.

Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly with a definitive answer. That made it so much easier for me in many ways.

Kris

permanent link
Kris Rovell-Rixx (36268) | answered Apr 09 '12, 2:31 p.m.
Kris,

The issue has been resolved. The process will be changed such that files are added to the workspace only when needed rather than extracting the entire contents of the zip into the workspace.

I never saw the zip files and never saw the issue 1st-hand. I can't any more light onto the issue. It appears to be an issue of zip making changes to non-printing data in the file, data that might be ignored by some types of diff.

Thanks again for your timely and definitive response.

Kris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.