It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Share one build engine for many projects

Leandro David (721719) | asked Mar 23 '12, 3:48 p.m.
Hi,

I created one build engine and I want to share it across multiple projects (about 9 projects)

I tried to create a build engine with the same name inside the second project but I got the error:

TeamBuildDuplicateItemException
Build engine with id "MockBuildEngine" already exists.
com.ibm.team.build.common.TeamBuildDuplicateItemException

Is it possible and how to share a single build engine for multiple projects ??

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 26 '12, 5:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have created one build engine, you can use it in other projects. When configuring the build definition, use add and select to show all build engines. Then you can add the existing build engine.

Comments
Liora Milbaum commented Nov 07 '12, 2:19 p.m.

This is the scenario my customer has:

One build engine defined in Project A
Second project, project B, has a build definition which is using the build engine defined in project A.

User X is defined in project B, but is not defined in project A.
User Y is defined in project B and in project A

User X can't initiate a build request from the build definition defined in project B
User Y can initiate a build request from the build definition defined in project B

User X shouldn't be a member of Project A.

What is the best configuration?

Thanks,
Liora

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | answered Mar 26 '12, 10:09 p.m.
If you have created one build engine, you can use it in other projects. When configuring the build definition, use add and select to show all build engines. Then you can add the existing build engine.

A Jazz build engine is similar to a build agent in BuildForge?

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 27 '12, 3:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as i know, a Buildforge Build Agent is a software that runs on machines and allows Buildforge to run commands. Buildforge distributes work to the agents for automation. It can synchronize things and for instance distribute work fo a build to different machines and recollect the data.

A JBE is a program that runs on a machine and polls for build requests. There are similarities but I won't consider it the same. The JBE can be used to do more complex tasks but not as complex as Buildforge.

As suggested in the other post, I would suggest to get in contact with a local IBM representative and set up a meeting to discuss your requirements.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.