It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use another repository to store libraries?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Mar 22 '12, 10:05 p.m.
Hi

If we want to store 3rd party libraries, usually in binary jar files, afraid will grow too big in a large organization, does it make sense to store them in a separate RTC repository? If we store these large binaries in one repository (behind that only one CCM database), I afraid it will slow down normal RTC operations.

Anyone use multiple repositories for this purpose? It's like we use separate VOBs to store binaries in ClearCase.

Thanks
Jirong

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 26 '12, 5:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I haven't heard about this approach, which does not mean it is not used...

I suppose you could use distributed SCM. Have the libraries in one repo and your code in another one. If the folders/projects don't have overlapping names you could load the libraries from one repository and the source from the other. Having separate repository workspaces for both would make sure that you don't accidentally deliver the libraries to the wrong repository. One concern I would have is how to handle which library versions belongs to which code. You could deliver your source to a stream on the library repository that contains all components and create a snapshot.

You could prepare the build engines by running a build that loads the libraries to disk in case someone changed them. The source build could then be run, assuming the libraries are already there.

One thing the 4.0 RC0 build contains now is the ability to delete files from SCM. this would potentially allow to have libraries in your single repository if you clean up versions no longer needed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.