It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I auto assign a work item to a person?

Raphael Chancey (36109) | asked Mar 15 '12, 2:02 p.m.
I am looking to automatically assign a work item that gets created against a specific stream. If I designate a 'scrum' lead to own that stream.. I want all work items, that are not assigned to a resource at creation time, to automatically be assigned to my scrum lead

How can I do that?

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 16 '12, 6:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

you could try and look into workitem customization. Default or calculated values. I have looked at it and I am not sure that you can achieve what you want with what is provided in 3.0.x.

I am also not sure it is necessary. RTC has built in mechanisms to support organizing smaller teams in projects that are meant to solve this. Doing this based on stream is not the concept used. Streams are used for SCM.

Lets assume there are three teams T1, T2, T3 (corresponding to your streams).

Typically your requirement would be implemented by creating categories T1, T2, T3 for the separate scrum teams. Optionally you can create corresponding team areas and timelines, if necessary. Setting the "Filed Against" attribute to the category T1, T2,... assigns the work items to that scrum team. This can be made mandatory.

Queries and dashboards can show the scrum master the work items relevant to him - the ones filed against his category. It is easy to find the unassigned work items for a team that need to be assigned to a user. You can actually search for unassigned ones and display them in several vies in the client and in dashboards. The scrum master or the team would also not confuse the ones that need to be assigned to another owner with the ones that he owns and that need to be worked on. The unassigned work items also show up as unassigned on plans.

This is how the workitems on Jazz.net are managed and is the typical setup.

Creating separate teams would support better planning and load views. Timelines allow independent iteration structures.

To support SCM each scrum team can have one or more Streams.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 16 '12, 9:28 a.m.
I once created this to understand the underlying princibles better: https://jazz.net/library/article/589

permanent link
Raphael Chancey (36109) | answered Mar 28 '12, 8:51 p.m.
Hi Ralph,
I understand what you are saying.

I was trying to solve 2 challenges:
I just don't have resources for someone to sit and look and assign these things manually.. although I understand needing to review and ensure the work item is clear enough

I wanted to auto assign to the lead .. in our case we are just starting and not getting work items each day... so we are not yet looking at this each day. If I would generate an email each time we get a work item assigned to a lead.. that would help. Same idea for a new user requesting access to RTC.. . if I did not get that email.. I would never know as I don't pay attention to that.

Ray

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 29 '12, 2:23 a.m.
Hi Ray,

I understand your reasoning. My team is using RTC to track work. Few work items are created and the team leads have to pick the unassigned ones. I can do too, but seldom have this view. Shame on me.

This can be solved with RTC. The question is how big the price tag s you are willing to put on it.

The cheapest solution I can come up with in 3.x is a compromise.

Pick a fellow who is Project Lead and responsible to set the owner for the whole project. Open the Project area in Eclipse and go to Process configuration>Project configuration>Configuration Data>Work Items>Attribute Customization.

Create a default value of type user and pick the Project Lead. Assign the default value you created to the owner attribute of all work item types.

This way the Project Lead gets all the mails first and can set the real owner. Experienced users can set the owner correct to save the lead some mails. You can still look for unassigned work items by category just user the project lead as "unassigned" user in the query. This way you can get the people used to the dashboards too.

I believe scripted work item attributes which you can create in the same area of Attribute Customization is not a solution. I have played with setting users in scripts and it is not really supported yet. I spend considerable time on this, but, of course you can try too. I found that it is impossible to set attributes of type contributor by script. So you are left with the defaults provided, like a single user.

Following https://jazz.net/library/article/784 and its links you can most likely create a full blown solution creating a precondition or followup action. But the price tag will be higher. It will increase the more perfect you want to do it. You would eventually have to look up the team from the category, find the users, parse their roles for teamlead and pick that contributor.

It is doable, but the API can be tough on new users. I would have to work myself through too, since I have only examples built for parts of it. I would estimate at least half a day, probably rather a day for a prototype if I try. For an inexperienced API user it can take a lot longer.

I would go for the default owner.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.