It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirement Traceability Matrix

Jorgefelix Siverio (7621414) | asked Mar 14 '12, 10:08 a.m.
We have the need to create a requirement traceability matrix, similar to how it was created and displayed in Requisite Pro.

We have done some initial research and have not found any possible solutions. The traceability report will not suffice. We need a simple matrix where the requirements are on the y-axis and the test cases are on the x-axis.

Any thoughts or ideas.... this is due in a couple of weeks.

8 answers

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Mar 15 '12, 12:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RRC doesn't have the x/y type of matrices that were in ReqPro.

The best alternative is probably to (a) create a view (saved filter) that shows the necessary requirements, and (b) add the "Validated By" column to the display. This will show you a list of linked test cases for each requirement. If you have the Money That Matters sample application installed, the "Release 1 Features (Lifecycle Coverage)" view will show this.

Also note that you can create filters/queries based on the presence or status of linked test cases (see the "Features with Unattempted Test Cases" view in the sample).

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Mar 20 '12, 9:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the reply Kirk.

We do have the filter set up. Although the known defect with the Validated By field not exporting to CSV prevents us from exporting this view to meet the clients requirements.

I'm surprised that RRC being the latest and greatest from big blue does not have the x/y requirement traceability matrix feature.

Is this a known enhancement item? If not, I will log one.

Now something that we are introducing as part of the next major version of the product is something called the Link Explorer

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/milestones/3.5M3?p=news#linksexplorer

It is not a X/Y view but something that does show relationships in a different perspective.

permanent link
Jorgefelix Siverio (7621414) | answered Mar 15 '12, 12:46 p.m.
Thanks for the reply Kirk.

We do have the filter set up. Although the known defect with the Validated By field not exporting to CSV prevents us from exporting this view to meet the clients requirements.

I'm surprised that RRC being the latest and greatest from big blue does not have the x/y requirement traceability matrix feature.

Is this a known enhancement item? If not, I will log one.

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Mar 16 '12, 11:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I do not believe there is an enhancement. I know this was considered though. I think it is difficult to implement on the web, and it is difficult to read (and doesn't scale very well).

We think the most of the functions and benefits of the trace matrix can be achieved using the different link columns in RRC, but if you see cases where that's not true, please let us know.

Not exporting the implemented by column is an obvious gap/bug. Also, we have not yet achieved the simplicity of the matrix for creating a link between 2 requirements, but we are working on that.

permanent link
Jorgefelix Siverio (7621414) | answered Apr 11 '12, 3:26 p.m.
This is absolutely fantastic Robin. Thanks so much for passing this along!

permanent link
Emil Eriksson (112) | answered May 02 '13, 7:57 a.m.
This was an interesting read!  Have the CSV-export of "Validated by" been fixed since this question?

permanent link
Girish Patil (1111) | answered Oct 03 '13, 2:20 a.m.
Hi All, Please find the uploaded document regarding creation of requirements traceability matrix using RRC from the following link -
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/ajax/download/3953113e-02b2-49c2-8424-3b5298f1d68f/78b3c32d-a8dc-466f-a56e-4f8df7706e44/Creation%20of%20Requirement%20Traceability%20Matrix%20using%20RRC.doc",null);

permanent link
Mo Jabbar (612) | answered Feb 05 '15, 3:38 p.m.
edited Feb 05 '15, 3:39 p.m.
Our client has requested a Trace Table / Requirements Traceability Matrix. They are migrating from ReqPro to Doors NextGen.

The original post here was nearly 3 years ago, in 2012. Has there been any further movement on reproducing this functionality in Doors NextGen?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.