It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC, Scrum and tasks : working hours in a day

Mikaël Donini (2145) | asked Mar 05 '12, 8:54 a.m.
Dear Forum,

I need to change the number of working hours in one day in RTC.
Today, estimating 8 hours for a task item automatically changes the estimation to 1 day.

But each member of my scrum considers that his effective working time is 5 hours a day (because of meetings, of unplanned tasks, of other impediments etc ...).

So I have investigated in RTC in order to find a solution to change the correspondance between hours and day : I have found something : in the work environment tab, for a given user, we can change the worday length ; but changing this workday length has no impact when estimating a task : "8 hours" is still changed into one day.

Do you know how to change the correspondance hours/days in RTC so that when estimating a task, 5 hours is changed in 1 day?

Thanks a lot for your precious support,

Best Regards,

Mikal Donini.

4 answers

permanent link
Scott Crouch (48532426) | answered Mar 06 '12, 3:07 p.m.
You could just set the option to display estimates as hours instead of having it convert to days. There's an option under Planning -> General. That way it doesn't matter what the hour->day conversion is.

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Mar 06 '12, 9:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can specify the work time per day for project-wide settings of the work environment in the process spec for the project.

Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Planning > Work Environment

The work environment setting in the User Editor is used to specify different settings per User.

Thanks,
Sharoon
Planning Team
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Forum,

Today, estimating 8 hours for a task item automatically changes the estimation to 1 day.

But each member of my scrum considers that his effective working time is 5 hours a day (because of meetings, of unplanned tasks, of other impediments etc ...).

So I have investigated in RTC in order to find a solution to change the correspondance between hours and day : I have found something : in the work environment tab, for a given user, we can change the worday length ; but changing this workday length has no impact when estimating a task : "8 hours" is still changed into one day.

Do you know how to change the correspondance hours/days in RTC so that when estimating a task, 5 hours is changed in 1 day?

Thanks a lot for your precious support,

Best Regards,

Mikal Donini.

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Mar 07 '12, 12:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sharoon's suggestion works perfectly. I created a task of 10 hours and it changed to "1d 2h". I then changed the Work Time per Day in the Planning -> Work Environment section of the Process Configuration, saved it and refreshed the plan. It changed to say "2 d".

This is a Project Area setting so it will affect all teams in the project area.

permanent link
Mikaël Donini (2145) | answered Mar 07 '12, 3:26 a.m.
Yes it works perfectly.

Thanks all!!

Mikal.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.