It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Assigning roles to users

Brian Schimpf (27611514) | asked Feb 28 '12, 12:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We've seen some problems with users being denied permission to perform actions such as making comments on a workitem or uploading artifacts into the project space. Users need to be assigned a role by the project administrator; who is typically the user who created the project. Roles determine what permissions a user has to perform activities in the project (like creating, editing/saving work items, etc.) If a user has no role set they default to an "everyone" permission set which is very limited.

To assign roles to project members the administrator opens the administration screen by clicking on the "Manage Project" link on the top right of the project page. The "Members" section will show all the users who are members of the project and what role, if any, they have been assigned. The assigned role can be changed by selecting the user and then clicking "Actions."

We're looking into providing some tutorial help in this area so stay tuned. Also, a reminder that this forum is a great place to post questions when you're having trouble.

Thanks, Brian

3 answers

permanent link
John Schilt (6111822) | answered Mar 07 '12, 4:11 p.m.
Hi,

I created a project in JazzHub a few days ago (UTS 48471 (Semester 1, 2012). Created two teams (Red and Blue) and added myself, the professors and the TA's to each team....

Invited some new members (Professors and TA's). The TA's have been inviting students to the project and then adding them to teams.

However, some strange stuff is going on :

a) I (as the project creator) can see the members of the Project and the members of the Teams . However, there are members in one of the teams (Red Team) that are not listed as members of the Project. Is this possible ?

Any thoughts ?

permanent link
Denise Cook (4687) | answered Mar 07 '12, 4:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

You can add project members to a project area or a team area.

If a new member was added on the project area overview tab (in the members section) and then added to a team, then you would see their name on the project area members section and in the team area.

It's also possible to add a new member directly to a team area and assign their role at the team level. Is it possible that you or one of the professors or TAs added some new team members this way?

Regards,
Denise

permanent link
John Schilt (6111822) | answered Mar 11 '12, 8:42 p.m.
Denise,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I suspect that this is what has happened... it was a bit confusing at first ...

John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.