It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating Workitem using REST

Mattias Berglund (56111) | asked Feb 20 '12, 10:21 a.m.
When creating a work item (for example the standard Defect) using REST, some fields has to be set using rdf:resource.

The way I have done it right now is to fetch an existing defect, looking at the rdf:resource of a value and then guessed that the URI to the collection is the URI, but removing the item at the end. This way I found out that, for example,
Severity = /ccm/oslc/enumerations/project-area id/severity
Type = /ccm/oslc/types/project-area id
This way I can use those URIs to fetch RDF representations that I can use to present the user with the possibility to select Type and Severity.

The problem comes with the field FiledAgainst. Fetching a defect gives me, for example, the rdf:resource /ccm/resource/itemOid/com.ibm.team.workitem.Category/_m9O4y1vOEeG5D_zZmW3LWA.
Fetching this resource returns the active Category, but I cannot find a way to get the complete Category list. If I try to get /ccm/resource/itemOid/com.ibm.team.workitem.Category I get an error saying "Malformed current state URI selector: 'com.ibm.team.workitem.Category'"

My question is, how can (should) I program-wise fetch the possible values for the fields that are not free-text? Can the links I found out (for Type and Severity) be trusted or might this be part of changes in the future? And if yes, how is the proper way to get the list?

6 answers

permanent link
Steve Speicher (31765) | answered Feb 27 '12, 3:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I had a similar thread in https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66741

This answer some of what you have already figured out. This will be much better in 4.0 with support for resource shapes associated with the creation factory.

Offhand I don't know how to get the list of categories, will have to find some time to research it. I'd approach it by poking around at their OSLC support and then see how the work item web editor is making the calls to the server.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

- Steve

permanent link
Mattias Berglund (56111) | answered Mar 02 '12, 6:20 a.m.
Thank you Steve.
I will continue to use this URI for types then and look a bit through the code and see if I can understand how FiledAgainst is created.

permanent link
Steve Speicher (31765) | answered Mar 05 '12, 11:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Details of the new support are tracked in Story 141541

permanent link
Sandeep Somavarapu (1011) | answered Mar 05 '12, 2:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Details of the new support are tracked in Story 141541

Firstly, as Steve said, OSLC shapes associated to the work item creation factory & work item shapes can be used for finding out the values for a property of a work item programmatically. This is supported from 4.0.

For pre 4.0 usage, unfortunately there is no discovery mechanism for finding out the URLs for non-oslc based resources like Category. But I can help you in providing the collection URL for them. For Category it is /ccm/oslc/categories. This will give out all categories URLs.

I would say the correct approach to find a value of a property for a resource programmatically is by accessing its shape.

Thanks
Sandeep

permanent link
Mattias Berglund (56111) | answered Mar 06 '12, 7:26 a.m.
Thank you Sandeep.

I saw that it also works with oslc.where to be able to select only categories for a specific project area (in our production environment we have about 3000 categories right now so it's a bit heavy to find the correct ones if selecting all ;) )

permanent link
Thatta Premnath (18112) | answered May 18 '12, 4:56 p.m.
Thank you Sandeep.

I saw that it also works with oslc.where to be able to select only categories for a specific project area (in our production environment we have about 3000 categories right now so it's a bit heavy to find the correct ones if selecting all ;) )

Mattias,
Can you give me the syntax for filtering categories by project area? The full URL will be great. I am getting a oslc:Error - Illegal argument 'Project Area': _d-9T0I7fEeG7bO3Ur0YViA

My URL is: https://appserver.ibm.com:19443/ccm/oslc/categories?oslc.select=rtc_cm:Category,rtc_cm:projectArea&oslc.where=rtc_cm%3AprojectArea%3D%22_d-9T0I7fEeG7bO3Ur0YViA%22

It turns out that this URL works fine in v3.0.1.3 but returns the illegal argument error in v4.0 RC4a

Thanks,
Prem.

Comments
Dax Haslam commented Nov 08 '12, 9:52 a.m.

Any luck figuring out a strategy for selecting by project area? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.