It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Artifacts Shortcuts (in Folders)

Pietro Mazzoleni (461110) | asked Feb 12 '12, 6:00 p.m.
Hi,
I have a set of artifacts which needs to be classified under multiple RRC folders. I'm looking for something like a "File Shortcut" (or Alias) .

Is it possible? I'm using RRC 3.0.1

Thanks for the support

Pietro

5 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 13 '12, 8:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
I have a set of artifacts which needs to be classified under multiple RRC folders. I'm looking for something like a "File Shortcut" (or Alias) .

Is it possible? I'm using RRC 3.0.1

Thanks for the support

Pietro

Additional ways of classifying the artifacts might be to use tags on the artifacts and have some saved filters one for each classification, or maybe grouping the artifacts into collections.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 13 '12, 6:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can create a "shortcuts" artifact in a folder and include links to other artifacts, but it's not possible to include shortcuts as objects directly in the folder.

You are welcome to open an enhancement request for this capability. If you do it, in the work item please explain why this is valuable to you.

permanent link
Pietro Mazzoleni (461110) | answered Feb 14 '12, 5:42 p.m.
Thanks for the answer.
Here more details on my problems.

One Requirement - Multiple Folders

I use folders to group requirements around different business processes (e.g. Order to Cash, Opportunity to Order, etc). Now, a single requirement might apply to multiple folders. Using tags will defeat the usage of folder (as if I move a requirement to a different folder , I need to remember to manually change the tag). Is there a way to do it?

Access Artifacts in SubFolders

At the same time, as I have a folder structure of >1 levels (actually 3 levels). I'm now looking at way to show all artifacts belonging to all subfolders of the one I select on the screen Is there a way to do it? Maybe some filters?

Thanks in advance for the help. Unfortunately, this is becoming a showstopper for my customers.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 14 '12, 7:06 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One Requirement - Multiple Folders

I use folders to group requirements around different business processes (e.g. Order to Cash, Opportunity to Order, etc). Now, a single requirement might apply to multiple folders. Using tags will defeat the usage of folder (as if I move a requirement to a different folder , I need to remember to manually change the tag). Is there a way to do it?

Since a requirement applies to more than one business process, you may find it easier to use a multi-value attribute to express which processes are relevant, combined with saved filters to get the right set of them "in view" and in reports.

Access Artifacts in SubFolders

At the same time, as I have a folder structure of >1 levels (actually 3 levels). I'm now looking at way to show all artifacts belonging to all subfolders of the one I select on the screen Is there a way to do it? Maybe some filters?

I don't recall with RRC V3: is is possible to include multiple folders in a saved filter? I know we addressed this in early milestones of the 2012 release, but I realize that wouldn't help you now. The multi-value attribute with saved filter can solve this problem too.

permanent link
Randy Haven (1622) | answered Feb 14 '12, 7:11 p.m.
Pietro,

To follow Robin's suggestion, we have implemented in IBM GBS, filters which are organized much like the old ReqPro view structure along side APQC folder structures. Knowing that a requirement artifact buried in the APQC structure is likely hard to find, we have filters that are more type-based. For instance filters for all User Interface related artifacts like sketches, parts, storyboards with a layout grouping those types. Or, perhaps more interestingly, business requirements traced to system requirements (i.e. with links of type "Linked To"). These examples are surely available to you in the IBM GBS configurations for RRC. They would also be available to any client of GBS choosing to follow best practices our business offers.

All that said, I would agree something like a Unix symbolic link that could be placed in other folders would be very handy. Daniel, I have created Enhancement Request 54532 to track GBS's need for this. The request is tagged with manbeta.

Regards,
Randy Haven
IBM GBS Solution Architect

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.